Bandits Select Six in 2020 NLL Entry Draft
BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Buffalo Bandits selected six players in the 2020 NLL Entry Draft Thursday night, forming a draft class composed of three forwards and three transition players.
The team also completed a trade during the draft, acquiring a second-round pick (19th overall) in tonight's draft, a conditional first-round pick in the 2021 NLL Entry Draft and a second-round pick in the 2023 NLL Entry Draft from the Rochester Knighthawks in exchange for transition player Matt Gilray and a fourth-round pick (54th overall) in tonight's draft.
With the team's first-round pick, No. 9 overall, the Bandits selected forward Brad McCulley. A native of Victoria, British Columbia, McCulley (6'1", 200 lbs., 1/31/1997) has spent the last three seasons at Robert Morris University, where he finished sixth on the team in goals in each of the last two seasons. In 40 career collegiate games, McCulley recorded 32 points (28+4). The forward made his WLA debut in 2019 for the Langley Thunder and led the team in points (37) while finishing second in goals (20) in 18 games played.
The Bandits selected forward Sam La Roue (6'3", 195 lbs., 6/3/2002) with the first of the team's two second-round picks (19th overall). The South Surrey, British Columbia native made his BC Junior A Lacrosse League debut as a 16-year-old in 2019, recording 39 points (14+25) in 20 games. Drafted first overall by the Burnaby Lakers in the 2019 BCJALL Midget Draft, La Roue began his rookie year with the Lakers before finishing the season with the New Westminster Salmonbellies.
With the No. 23 pick in the draft, the team added transition player Jordon Stouros (5'11", 200 lbs., 9/27/1996). Stouros played 64 games and recorded 11 points (6+5) during a four-year collegiate career for the Limestone University Saints. He was named the USILA-Warrior Division II Long Pole Midfielder of the Year and was named a USILA All-American after his junior season in 2019.
The Bandits added their third forward of the draft in the fifth round, selecting Hamilton, Ontario native Tye Argent (6'0", 170 lbs., 6/19/1999) with the 73rd overall pick. Argent posted nine points (5+4) in seven OJALL games with the Burlington Chiefs in 2019 before recording 29 points (14+15) in 11 games with the Six Nations Snipers of the Arena Lacrosse League in 2020.
With their second of two fifth-round selections ar No. 76 overall, the Bandits selected transition player Dalton Sulver (6'1", 213 lbs.). Sulver played the last four seasons for High Point University, posting 57 points (41+16) and 36 ground balls in 49 career games. The Kingwood, Texas native established career highs in goals (21), assists (9) and points (30) in 16 games during the 2019 campaign.
Buffalo wrapped up the draft with a Western New Yorker, selecting Lancaster, New York native Carter Stefaniak (5'11", 176 lbs., 6/15/1998) with the team's sixth-round pick (89th overall). The transition player finished his collegiate career with 95 points (75+20) in 52 NCAA games for Canisius College, earning All-MAAC honors in 2018 and 2019.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 18, 2020
- Colorado Bolsters Roster with 11 Selections, Two Trades During 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- Philadelphia Wings Add Eight Players to Roster at 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- Black Wolves Close out 2020 NLL Draft with Four Additional Draftees - New England Black Wolves
- National Lacrosse League Completes 2020 Entry Draft - NLL
- Swarm Make Numerous Key Additions at 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Georgia Swarm
- Roughnecks Select Nine in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Bandits Select Six in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Buffalo Bandits
- Warriors Stock the Cupboard with the 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Vancouver Warriors
- Thunderbirds Bolster Defense in 2020 Entry Draft - Halifax Thunderbirds
- Rock Select Six at NLL Draft - Toronto Rock
- Knighthawks Acquire Eight Players in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - Rochester Knighthawks
- Seals Select Seven in 2020 NLL Entry Draft - San Diego Seals
- New York Riptide Select Eight Players the NLL Draft - New York Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.