Bisons score early and often in win over IronPigs
(Buffalo, NY) - The Buffalo Bisons (27-33) lineup scored six runs over the first two innings and didn't look back as they beat the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (29-30) 9-2 on Saturday night. The IronPigs are under .500 for the first time since Opening Night.
Tyler Viza (0-5) lasted just 1 2/3 innings as the Bisons took a 6-1 lead after the bottom of the second inning. Anthony Alford and Patrick Kivlehan each hit RBI doubles in the bottom of the first inning and Richard Urena added an RBI single. Socrates Brito hit a two-run single and Kivlehan added an RBI single in the bottom of the second inning.
Damek Tomscha homered off Andrew Sopko (1-2) in the top of the second inning. The home run was his sixth of the season.
Luke Leftwich pitched three scoreless innings in relief of Viza. He recorded a season-best six strikeouts. Josh Tols pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings in relief of Leftwich. He issued one walk and recorded three strikeouts.
Andy Burns homered off Josh Martin in the bottom of the eighth inning to give Buffalo a 7-1 lead. Jordan Patterson scored on a pass ball then Kivlehan walked with the bases loaded to bring in the third run of the inning.
Tomscha homered again in the top of the ninth inning, a solo blast off Corey Copping to bring the score to 9-2.
The IronPigs and Buffalo Bisons wrap up their series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is at 1:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 8, 2019
- Bats vs. Knights Suspended; to be Resumed Sunday - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: 6-9-19 - Louisville Bats
- Knights and Bats Suspended from Uptown Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Sopko Delivers in 9-2 Star Wars Night Win over Lehigh Valley - Buffalo Bisons
- Toledo Sweeps Double-Header against Indy - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indy Drops Both Ends of Doubleheader to Mud Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons score early and often in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Win Sixth Straight Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Maggi, Dobnak Lead Red Wings to Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Drop Pitchers' Duel to RailRiders, 3-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Two home runs from Logan Morrison account for all three runs in SWB win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers, Durham Postponed on Saturday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-24) at Toledo Mud Hens (24-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (24-37) at Charlotte Knights (34-25) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Lehigh Valley (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Onslaught in Game 1, Rally in Game 2 Leads to Doubleheader Sweep - Rochester Red Wings
- Dallas Keuchel Scheduled to Start for Gwinnett Tonight - Gwinnett Stripers
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6
- IronPigs Release Full Promotional Calendar for the 2020 Season
- 2020 Bobblehead Lineup, Jersey Auction Dates Announced