Bisons acquire Russell Branyan
The Buffalo Bisons have announced today the acquisition of infielder Russell Branyan in a trade with the Atlanta Braves for a player to be named later. The left-handed slugger will be making his second stint with the Herd after spending parts of the 1999 and 2000 seasons in Buffalo. Branyan will report to the Bisons while the team is in Rochester taking on the Red Wings in a four-game series.
Branyan currently sits fifth on the Bisons modern day home run charts with 51. In 1999, he hit 30 home runs in just 109 games with Buffalo, which is tied for fourth most homers in a season in modern day franchise history. Then in 2000, after hitting 21 more longballs in only 64 games, he got the call up to Cleveland. He stayed with the Tribe until a June 7, 2002 trade sent him to Cincinnati in exchange for first baseman Ben Broussard.
Branyan started the 2004 season with the Richmond Braves, the Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. He was hitting .179 (5-28) with five runs, one home run, and four RBIs. Overall, Branyan has 70 career Major League home runs, with 171 more in the minors.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 26, 2004
- Lynx Win Third Straight 9-7 Over Paw Sox - Ottawa Lynx
- Bats' Belisle turns back Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Barons Postponed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- SkyChiefs Postponed - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls' Cummings and Bats' Belisle earn IL weekly awards - IL
- Bisons acquire Russell Branyan - Buffalo Bisons
- Santos Promoted to Milwaukee - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Sahlen Field - the New Home of the Herd
- Ballpark Home of the Buffalo Bisons Renamed as 'Sahlen Field'
- Once Again, Bisons Well Represented in MLB Postseason
- Simply the Best Value: 2019 Season Tickets
- Day 3 at 'The Links' - Chaffee Challanges with -4 as Weekend at the Ballpark Concludes