'Birds Use Four-Run Fourth to Ease by Crawdads
SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds set a new franchise record for wins in a half as they notched their 48th win in a 5-1 victory over the Hickory Crawdads on Saturday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
Ryan Wilson (2-2) snagged the win for the Shorebirds (48-20). The southpaw posted his first Quality Start of the year, firing six innings and allowing just an unearned run on three hits and one walk, while striking out seven. Wilson struck out five batters in a row at one point and set down 11 in a row from the first through fourth innings.
Ronny Henriquez (1-4) swallowed the loss for the Crawdads (40-25). Henriquez lasted just four innings, allowing four runs (two earned) on five hits and three walks.
The game stayed scoreless until the fourth when the Shorebirds broke through in a big way. Cadyn Grenier walked with one out and Robbie Thorburn by drawing another free pass. Seamus Curran then singled to load the bases. Jean Carlos Encarnacion was subsequently hit by a pitch, forcing home the first run of the game. Ben Breazeale followed by lacing a single to center, bringing home the second run of the frame. With the bases still full, Ryne Ogren bounced a grounder to third where Hickory third baseman Jonathan Ornelas tried to get the force out at home but threw wildly, allowing two runs to score and handing the Shorebirds a 4-0 lead.
Hickory clawed a run back in the sixth. Jaxx Biggers began the inning with a single and Miguel Aparacio then reached on an error to put two aboard. A groundout to second moved both runners into scoring position. Melvin Novoa got Hickory on the board as he lofted a sacrifice fly to left field, cutting the Delmarva lead to 4-1.
Delmarva got an insurance run in a hurry in the eighth as Seamus Curran belted a solo homer 425-feet over the right field wall, his 11th of the year, to give Delmarva a 5-1 lead they would never relinquish.
Matthew Hammonds and Tim Naughton combined for three no-hit innings out of the bullpen to salm the door shut on the Crawdads.
Leading the way for the Shorebirds, Curran 2-for-4 with two runs and an RBI. Ben Breazeale also had a two-hit day, finishing 2-for-4 with an RBI.
Delmarva mustered enough offense to win the game despite grounding into a season high four double plays, three coming in the first three innings.
Hickory collected just three hits in the game, all singles from Aparicio, Biggers, and Frainyer Chavez.
With the win, the Shorebirds now have the most victories in a single half in franchise history, passing the 1996 Shorebirds who in the first half went 47-23.
Delmarva now closes out the first half looking to get a series win against the Crawdads. Nick Gruener (0-1, 8.35) makes his first start of the year for the Shorebirds against Cole Winn (0-3, 7.98) for the Crawdads. First pitch is set for 2:05 p.m. with gates opening at 1:00. Sunday at Perdue Stadium is Father's Day and Perdue Strike Out Hunger Sunday with Kids Run the Bases after the game presented by Chili's. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 1:50 with Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Mauricio a Homer Shy of Cycle in Loss to Lexington - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Use Four-Run Fourth to Ease by Crawdads - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome Uses Strong Pitching to Beat Augusta 3-2 - Rome Braves
- Suns Swept by Power in Doubleheader - Hagerstown Suns
- Harlow Shines in Debut and Decolati Goes Deep in Losing Effort - Asheville Tourists
- Inman's Complete Game Seals Doubleheader Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Drive Stifle Charleston Hitters, Dogs Fall in Game Three - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rome Plays Spoiler as Jackets Fall 3-2 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 15 vs. Lexington (Game 65) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 15) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Defeats Rome 6-5 in 10 Innings - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Single-Game Tickets for PAW Patrol, Fireworks, Poster Giveaway, and More Are Now on Sale
- Shorebirds 4th of July Tickets Are Now on Sale
- Promotional Nights Highlight Homestand #5 & #6
- Valentine's Day Packages and Single-Game Tickets for Homestand #4 Are Now on Sale
- Star Wars Night, Bobblehead Giveaway, and Fireworks Highlight Shorebirds Homestand #3