Big Nights for Cruz and Skender Not Enough at Lansing
LANSING, Mich. - The TinCaps are on the road as Parkview Field preps to host the K105fm Country Fest concert on Thursday night, and on Wednesday night, Fort Wayne fell to the Lansing Lunguts (Toronto Blue Jays affiliate), 5-3, at Cooley Law School Stadium.
Fort Wayne (21-30, 54-65) starter Omar Cruz tossed a career-long six innings with no earned runs allowed. The 20-year-old from Mexico left the game with the 'Caps ahead, 2-1, after he retired the final 10 batters he faced. Cruz struck out seven and allowed only three singles and no walks as he lowered his ERA to 2.78 through seven starts. It was the first time this season he didn't issue a single walk.
The TinCaps scored the game's first run in the top of the second when third baseman Ethan Skender socked an RBI single to plate DH Michael Curry, who had walked and advanced to second on an Agustin Ruiz walk.
Lansing (27-24, 59-61) tied the game with an unearned run in the third.
The 'Caps retook the lead, 2-1, on another Skender RBI hit, this time a two-out double to drive in shortstop Justin Lopez.
The Lunguts rallied for three runs in the seventh and one in the eighth to take a 5-2 lead.
Down to the final out, Fort Wayne showed life with Skender delivering another RBI double, the TinCaps stranded the tying runs on base in the ninth.
Skender matched a career high with three hits on the night. It was his second game in a row with a pair of doubles.
Thursday, Aug. 15 @ Lansing (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Efraín Contreras
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Troy Watson
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Velazquez Picks up Four RBI as Cubs Beat Captains 6-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Big Nights for Cruz and Skender Not Enough at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 14 at Lansing (Game 119) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jose Martinez activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Parkview Field to Further Expand Protective Netting
- TinCaps Release 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Drew Brees to Headline "Night of Hope 2020" with Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- TinCaps Holding National Anthem Auditions for 2020 Season
- TinCaps Announce Day of the Week Promotions for 2020