Big Inning Propels Sixers, Bertness Slams Door at San Jose
San Jose, CA- The Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino opened a three-game set with the San Jose Giants with a 7-5 win where the Sixers' big inning proved bigger than San Jose's and, in the end, size mattered. Inland Empire's five-run fifth trumped the Giants' four-run sixth and Inland Empire's Nate Bertness slammed the door for the Sixers (49-74, 23-31) with two scoreless frames to improve to 6-6 against the Giants in 2019.
The 66ers took a one run lead in the second when Leonardo Rivas' drilled a two-out single off the glove of a leaping first-baseman Dalton Combs to bring a run home. San Jose (55-68, 25-29) tied the game when Courtney Hawkins doubled home an unearned run off Inland Empire starter Cristopher Molina (2-4) in the fourth. The Sixers had their scoring bonanza in the fifth scoring chasing San Jose starter Casey Meisner (2-4). Cam Williams opened the frame with a double as the inning got rolling with RBI singles from Orlando Martinez, Gleyvin Pineda and Devin Davis. A run scoring passed ball and sac fly from Ryan Scott accounted for the five tallies. In the sixth, the Giants took advantage of two hit batsman and a dropped fly ball in right notching four runs and making it at 6-5 game. Spencer Griffin doubled to open the seventh for Inland Empire and scored on Davis' second RBI single of the night for a 7-5 lead. Bertness came out of the pen in the eighth for the sixth and walked Brandon Van Horn on four pitches. After falling behind 3-0 on leadoff man Sandro Fabian the Sixers southpaw came back to pop him up and start a stretch of six straight retired to notch his fifth save. After allowing eight runs on June 29th in a short outing, Bertness has allowed just two runs on his last 12 appearances.
The series continues Saturday at 5:00 pm. The contest can be heard live at 66ers.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Big Inning Propels Sixers, Bertness Slams Door at San Jose - Inland Empire 66ers
- Seven-Run Fifth, Carrillo Pace Quakes - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Nuts Fall 4-3 - Modesto Nuts
- Late Rally Sends Sell-Out Crowd Home Happy - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Lancaster Wins Close One In Modesto - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inland Empire 66ers Stories
- Devin Davis Leads Sixers to 5-3 Win at Rancho Cucamonga
- Sixers Defeated by Quakes in 2019 Finale
- Herrin Dazzles on Mound, Rivas and Davis Deliver at Plate
- Cruz Hammers Three-Run Shot in Sixers Win at Rancho Cucamonga
- 66ers Comeback with Three in the Eighth, Take Three-Game Set