Bethune, O'Brien Sign Tryouts in ECHL
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars Hockey Club is pleased to announce forwards Jared Bethune ('97) and Brogan O'Brien ('97) have signed Amateur Tryout contracts with the Allen Americans and Kansas City Mavericks in the ECHL.
"Brogan and Jared were great leaders for us this season and were tremendous ambassadors for our organization throughout their WHL careers," said General Manager Todd Harkins. "Both are very deserving of this opportunity at the professional level and we wish them nothing but success in Allen and Kansas City."
Bethune is joining the Allen Americans after a success 20-year-old season with the Cougars. Bethune led the team in scoring with 69 points (21-48-69) in 71 games. The Fort Francis, Ontario, product led the team in points (69), assists (48), short-handed goals (5); power-play assists (16) and shots on goal (189). He set new career bests in both assists and points this season.
Bethune signed with the Cougars in October of 2014, and went onto play four seasons in Cougars colours. In 276 career regular season games he compiled 65 goals, 110 assists for 175 points. He added another four points in 15 career playoff games.
The Allen Americans are the ECHL affiliate of the San Jose Sharks, and, they sit fourth in the ECHL's Mountain Division with a 31-25-5-2 record.
O'Brien played his entire minor and junior hockey career in his hometown of Prince George. The 20-year-old finished fourth in team scoring this season, collecting 17 goals and 41 points in 52 games. O'Brien finished the 2017-18 season on a four-game point streak, picking up eight points (3-5-8) over that span. O'Brien had a pair of goals and three points in the Cougars season finale against Kamloops on Saturday.
O'Brien signed with the Cougars in March, 2015, and went on to play in 193 career regular season games with his hometown Cougars, amassing 44 goals, 86 assists for 130 points. O'Brien was an Alternate Captain for the Cougars in his final WHL season.
The Kansas City Mavericks are the ECHL affiliate of the Calgary Flames, and they play in the ECHL's Central Division and sit fifth with a 31-28-2-2 record.
Images from this story
Jared Bethune and Brogan O'Brien
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2018
- Prince George Cougars Announce General Manager Change - Prince George Cougars
- Bethune, O'Brien Sign Tryouts in ECHL - Prince George Cougars
- Fan Bus to Invade Regina for Games 3 & 4 - Swift Current Broncos
- Broncos Announce Playoff Promotions for Game 1 against Regina - Swift Current Broncos
- Winterhawks Announce 2017-18 Team Awards - Portland Winterhawks
- Sportsnet to Broadcast Game 4 Between Royals, Giants - WHL
- Game 4 of Round 1 Rescheduled; Will be Carried Live on Sportsnet - Vancouver Giants
- Royals & Giants Announce Series Schedule Change - Victoria Royals
- Dea Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets' Dube Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Blazers Week in Review - Kamloops Blazers
- Americans' Dea Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Rockets' Dube Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- 2018 Kelowna Rockets Awards Ceremony Held - Kelowna Rockets
- Winterhawks, Chiefs Battle in Playoff Preview - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.