Bees Open Series With 4-1 Win Over Fort Wayne
Burlington's Justin Jones is on a roll. Tuesday night he asked his girl to married him and she said yes. Wednesday night he went 2-3 with a home run to lead the Bees to a 4-1 victory over visiting Eastern Division Ft. Wayne.
With the game knotted at one, Jones led off the fifth inning by taking a 1-1 pitch deep over the left field wall to give the Bees the lead.
Burlington came back with two unearned runs in the sixth. Jordyn Adams hit a hard grounder to second, which Tin Caps Tucupita Marcano misplayed for an error. Adams then stole second, his eleventh swipe of the year. One out later, Harrison Wenson hit a ground ball to short which was also misplayed for an error. That made it first and third for Francisco Del Valle, who had driven in Burlington's first run with a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning. This time he launched a double to left-center scoring both Adams and Wenson.
Luis Alvarado threw six complete innings to earn the win, and run his record to 4-5. The ex-Cornhusker allowed 3 hits, one run and a walk. He struck out two.
Tyler Smith relieved Alvarado, going two innings of no-hit ball. He struck out four. Mayky Perez earned a save, throwing the ninth. It was his second.
The three game set continues Thursday at Community Field. First pitch is 6:30 PM.
Images from this story
Justin Jones of the Burlington Bees rounds the bases following his home run
( Bees Media Relations)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 10, 2019
- Captains Drop Road Trip Opener to Clinton - Lake County Captains
- Miller, Lugnuts Continue Chiefs' Woes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Edwards, Osborne Go Back-to-Back in Clinton Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Score in Seventh & Eighth Innings of Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Bees Open Series With 4-1 Win Over Fort Wayne - Burlington Bees
- Bottom of Order Delivers Series-Opening Triumph - Kane County Cougars
- Reynolds Homers, But Cubs Fall to Kane County 3-2 in Opener - South Bend Cubs
- Bandits Fall in First Game of Road Trip, Drop Fifth Straight - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Pop Kernels - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Falls in Burlington - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Eight-Game Win Streak Snapped by Loons - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bautista, Spillane Blast Home Runs in Dragons 6-2 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Drops Rattlers 6-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 10 at Burlington (Game 87) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- RHP Lupe Chavez transferred from Tri-City to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.