Beavers Blast Three Home Runs In 13-7 Win
Las Vegas, Nev. - Dusty Ryan, Craig Stansberry, and Wily Mo Pena each belted home runs as the Portland Beavers tied a season high scoring 13 runs on their way to beating the Las Vegas 51s 13-7 Friday night at Cashman Field.
Craig Cooper went 3-for-5 with three RBIs while Ryan tallied four RBIs of his own on a night in which the Beavers (38-61) finished with 15 hits.
Portland starter Erik Davis (1-0) pitched five innings, giving up two runs on three hits while striking out seven in his Triple-A debut.
Brett Wallace hit his 17th home run of the season and finished with four RBIs while Danny Perales notched his first home run of the season for the 51s (47-53).
Las Vegas starter Rommie Lewis (1-5) gave up seven runs on eight hits and four walks in only 2 2/3 innings.
Ryan got the Beavers off to a quick start with a deep, three-run home run over the left-field foul pole to spot Davis a 3-0 lead in the second inning.
Stansberry then hit a two-run homer over the left-center field fence to highlight a four-run third. The Beavers scored three or more runs in four seperate innings Friday night.
Perales hit a two-run homer, his first in Triple A, to cut the Beavers lead to 7-2 in the bottom of the third.
Portland responded in the fourth when Cooper hit a stand-up, two-run triple to left field to extend the Beavers lead to 9-2.
Wallace cut Portland's lead to four with a three-run home run in the seventh inning but the Beavers countered with three runs in the eighth, highlighted by Pena's two-run blast.
The Beavers and 51s meet again Saturday at 7:05 p.m. in the second of their four-game set at Cashman Field.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 24, 2010
- Z's split double dip - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Birds sweep twin bill from Hawks - Memphis Redbirds
- Gil Meche to Start for Omaha Monday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers Blast Three Home Runs In 13-7 Win - Portland Beavers
- Allen Continues Power Surge In 9-5 Aces' Win Over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Come Up Short Against Sacramento - Tacoma Rainiers
- Gamel Belts Two Homers In Sounds' 11-8 Series-Opening Win - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss