Beaupit's Big Night Not Enough as Chiefs Fall 3-0 to Seattle in Season Finale
Kent, Wash. -- The Spokane Chiefs wrapped up the 2020-21 Western Hockey League season on Sunday night as rookie Spokane goaltender Mason Beaupit recorded 55 saves, but the Chiefs fell 3-0 to the Seattle Thunderbirds.
Seattle did all of their damage in the second period, including a power play score by Thunderbirds leading scorer Keltie Jeri-Leon just 33 seconds into the frame. A pair of goals five minutes apart at 10:53 and 15:53 sent the Chiefs into the final break in a 3-0 hole. Neither side found the night in the final period.
Each team's goaltender put on a show on the night, with Beaupit setting a new career high in saves while Seattle's Jackson Berry was 31 seconds shy of a shutout before the two received fighting majors that sidelined them for the remainder of the night.
Beaupit ends the season 348-of-380 in the net for Spokane, good for a .916 save percentage that would rank fourth-best in Chiefs history; however it was through just 10 games.
Special teams play plagued the Chiefs on the night as they were 0-for-3 in their power play chances while the Thunderbirds were 2-for-3. Berry was a perfect 21-of-21 between the pipes for Seattle.
The Chiefs end the 2020-21 season in fourth place in the Western Hockey League's U.S. Division, ahead of only the rival Tri-City Americans.
Tonight's game concludes the Chiefs' 2020-21 season. The Western Hockey League will not host postseason play this season due to the ongoing pandemic. Chiefs fans can renew their season tickets for the 2021-22 season online now. For further ticketing information for the 2021-22 season, contact a Chiefs ticket staff representative by calling 509-535-PUCK or e-mailing email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 9, 2021
- Beaupit's Big Night Not Enough as Chiefs Fall 3-0 to Seattle in Season Finale - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks Record Season-High Nine Goals to Conclude Road Schedule - Portland Winterhawks
- Garrett Pilon Becomes the 20th Silvertip to Play in the National Hockey League - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Take on Winterhawks in Final Home Game of the Season - Tri-City Americans
- Game Day Hub: May 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Put Bow on Campaign with 4-1 Victory - Everett Silvertips
- Blazers Clinch 2020-21 B.C. Division with a 3-1 Win over Giants - Vancouver Giants
- Scoring Dries up in Loss to Victoria - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Take Down Cougars - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Tyler Johnson to Bring Stanley Cup to Spokane Arena on July 29
- Chiefs Sign German Prospect Yannick Proske to WHL Agreement
- Kraken Preseason Tickets on Sale Friday
- Chiefs Sign Import Pick Tsimafei Kauharenia to WHL Player Agreement
- Seattle Kraken to Play Franchise's First Preseason Game at Spokane Arena