Bears Drop Series Opener in Spokane 3-2
The Yakima Bears lost 3-2 in the opening game of a three-game series against the Spokane Indians at Avista Stadium in Spokane, Washington Sunday night. With the loss, the Bears have fallen into last place in the Northwest League East Division in the second half.
The Bears started the scoring in the second half when Just Hilt hit a triple and then scored on a single by Tyler Bream.
An unearned run in the fourth inning scored by the Indians tied the game, and the Indians scored again in the fifth to take a 2-1 lead.
Both of the Indians first two runs were scored off of Bears starter Alex Capaul, who pitched five innings and did not pick up a decision.
The Bears tied the game in the sixth inning with back-to-back singles from Henry Zabala and Marc Bourgeois, and then a fielder's choice groundball by Justin Hilt scored Zabala.
The Indians plated the final run in the bottom of the sixth inning off of Bears reliever Greg Robinson, who fell to 0-5 after giving up just the one run in one and two thirds innings. Zach Cone was hit by a Robinson pitch, advanced to third on a single from Guillermo Pimenteo, and came home on a sacrifice fly from Drew Robinson.
Justin Albert pitched the final one and a third innings for the Bears without allowing a run.
Tyler Bream was the only Bears batter to have a multi-hit game, as he went 2-for-4 with a double and a RBI. Both Justin Hilt and Westley Moss tripled for their only hits of the game. The Bears are now tied for the Northwest League lead with 20 triples as a team.
The Bears take on the Spokane Indians in game two of the three-game series Monday at Avista Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 6:30. Right-handed pitchers Alex Capaul for the Bears and Nick Martinez for the Indians are the expected starters.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 8, 2011
- An Unearned Run the Difference Again in Bears Loss - Yakima Bears
- Aquasox Take Second Straight From Vancouver - Vancouver Canadians
- Dust Devils Stay Hot in 3-2 Win Over Hawks - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Hawks Fall To Devils - Boise Hawks
- First-Round Pick Kevin Matthews Assigned to Spokane Indians - Spokane Indians
- Boise Hawks Open 8-Game Homestand Wednesday - Boise Hawks
- Indians Pitching Stymies Bears Offense in 3-2 Win - Spokane Indians
- Boise Bats Quiet against Tri-City - Boise Hawks
- Tri-City Gets Another Shutout, Defeats Boise 2-0 - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Bears Drop Series Opener in Spokane 3-2 - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.