Bears Announce 2019 Training Camp Roster
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears have announced the initial roster for the club's 2019 Training Camp, which opens tomorrow morning at Giant Center at 10:30 a.m.
The following players are part of Hershey's initial 2019 Training Camp roster:
Forwards (17): Casey Bailey, Kody Clark, Dillan Fox, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, Kale Kessy, Brett Leason, Stephane Legault, Philippe Maillet, Chris McCarthy, Matt Moulson, Garrett Pilon, Joe Snively, Riley Sutter, Cole Ully, Mitchell Vanderlaan, Matthew Weis, Steve Whitney
Defensemen (10): Kris Bindulis, Erik Burgdoerfer, Tobias Geisser, Tariq Hammond, Connor Hobbs, Tommy Hughes, Phil Johansson, Bobby Nardella, Matt Nuttle, Ed Wittchow
Goaltenders (3): Billy Christopoulos, Parker Milner, Logan Thompson
The 2019 Training Camp roster features 10 players who skated with Hershey last season, including forward Garrett Pilon. The center led all first-year players on the team with 33 points and earned the club's Rookie of the Year award. Additional returners who were regulars in the Bears lineup last year include forward Steve Whitney, and defenders Tobias Geisser and Connor Hobbs.
The roster features 12 players signed to AHL contracts, including forward Matt Moulson. The newcomer to the Chocolate and White inked a one-year, AHL deal with the Bears in July. The 35-year-old brings nearly 1,000 games of professional experience to the club, including 650 games in the NHL. Moulson joins the Bears from the Ontario Reign where he led the club with 62 points last season while serving as an alternate captain. Also on an AHL contract is a familiar face in defenseman Erik Burgdoerfer. The rearguard returns to Hershey after skating with the club from 2014-16 and helping the team to the 2016 Calder Cup Finals.
Seven players on Hershey's initial 2019 Training Camp roster are on tryouts. Forward Dillan Fox is a Hummelstown, PA native. The Lower Dauphin product had 16 goals in just 37 games for the Maine Mariners of the ECHL last season. Of the tryouts, forward Casey Bailey is the most experienced of the players attempting to make the roster. The former Penn State standout was an AHL All-Star in 2017 during a season where he led the Binghamton Senators with 21 goals. Additionally, four players on tryouts have agreed to terms for 2019-20 with Hershey's ECHL affiliate, the South Carolina Stingrays, including: Stephane Legault, Phil Johansson, Matt Nuttle, and Mitchell Vanderlaan.
The 2019 Training Camp Roster will be updated at HersheyBears.com over the next week. Player numbers are subject to change. Additions are expected, as Hershey's NHL affiliate, the Washington Capitals, will have to reduce their roster to a maximum of 23 skaters in the next week.
The Bears open preseason play on Friday at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 7:05 p.m. The team hosts the Penguins for a home preseason game on Saturday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. at Giant Center. Seating is general admission and all tickets are $12. Tickets are on sale now at the Giant Center Box Office, or online via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Ontario Reign Announce Training Camp Schedule - Ontario Reign
- Five Players Assigned to Rampage by St. Louis - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Announce 2019 Training Camp Roster - Hershey Bears
- Kings Assign 20 to Ontario Reign Training Camp - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reduce Training Camp Roster by Nine - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Reduce Training Camp Roster, Assign Four to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Begin Training Camp Monday at Ice Den Scottsdale - Tucson Roadrunners
- 22 Players to Attend the Laval Rocket Training Camp - Laval Rocket
- Dansk and Sparks Join Chicago Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Get 21 from Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Columbus Blue Jackets Trim Training Camp Roster by Three Players - Cleveland Monsters
- Belleville Sens Announce 2019-20 Training Camp Roster - Belleville Senators
- San Jose Barracuda Announce 2019 Training Camp Schedule - San Jose Barracuda
- Ottawa Sends 11 to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Reduce Training Camp Roster, Assign 14 Players to Rochester - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.