BC Lions Brent Johnson and Barron Miles Receive Call to the Hall
(Vancouver) The BC Lions Football Club is very pleased to announce that former Leo greats Brent Johnson and Barron Miles will be inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame later this year. The list of 2018 inductees was announced as part of CFL Week activities in Winnipeg this evening and also includes Hank Ilesic, Scott Flory and the late Tommy Hugo.
Barron Miles joined the Lions as a free agent in 2005 following seven outstanding seasons as a member of the Montreal Alouettes. The New Jersey native and former Nebraska Cornhusker was the CFL's Outstanding Rookie in 1998, a three-time CFL All-star ('99, '00, '02) and a Grey Cup champion in 2002 before bringing his impressive resume to the BC Lions.
Over the next five seasons as a Lion, the talented and opportunistic safety recorded six blocked kicks giving him the all-time CFL mark of 13 to go along with the second-highest career interception total in league history with 66. During his five-season, 88-game tenure with the Leos, he piled-up 37 picks and 219 defensive stops which were recognized with five-straight West Division All-Star nods and three more league-wide honours in '06, '08 and '09.
During the club's dominant championship run in 2006, Miles provided plenty of sleepless nights for CFL quarterbacks striking for a career-high 10 interceptions, tops among a wrecking crew that struck for 36 that year. Following the 2009 campaign, a season in which he would tally the second-most tackles in his career dating back to his days as a rookie, Miles retired and joined the Lions' coaching staff. He enjoyed his third Grey Cup win as part of the team's coaching staff in 2011 and yet another win in 2013 as part Saskatchewan Roughriders coaching staff.
Canadian Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies take place in Hamilton on Friday, September 14th.
Images from this story
Brent Johnson of the BC Lions
Barron Miles of the BC Lions
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from March 21, 2018
- BC Lions Brent Johnson and Barron Miles Receive Call to the Hall - B.C. Lions
- Argos Punter Ilesic to be Inducted to Canadian Football Hall of Fame - Toronto Argonauts
- 2018 Canadian Football Hall of Fame Class Unveiled in Winnipeg - CFL
- Scott Flory, Barron Miles and Tom Hugo to be inducted to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame - Montreal Alouettes
- Hank Ilesic and Barron Miles Get the Call to the Hall - Edmonton Eskimos
- Argos Sign WR Rodney Smith - Toronto Argonauts
- CFLPA Files Grievance - CFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.