Baxter, Barfield Back Luebke in Beavers' 6-5 Win
PORTLAND, Ore. - Mike Baxter and Josh Barfield each homered and drove in three runs in support of Cory Luebke, who struck out nine over six strong innings, as the Portland Beavers held off the Albuquerque Isotopes for a 6-5 victory at PGE Park Sunday afternoon.
Baxter, who is hitting .421 with four home runs and 14 RBIs in 15 August games, took Claudio Vargas (2-6) deep in the first inning with a solo shot to right and added a two-run double in the third before Barfield's three-run home run to deep center extended the Beavers' (48-74) lead to 6-1 in the sixth.
The southpaw Luebke (4-0) limited the Isotopes (59-61) to a run on three hits and one walk while improving his ERA at PGE Park to 2.37 (5er, 19.0ip).
Portland has won four of its last five games after losing 11 of its previous 15.
The Isotopes rallied with three runs in the seventh on a two-run double by Trent Oeltjen and an RBI double by Ivan De Jesus, Jr. John Lindsey's 20th homer in the eighth trimmed Portland's advantage to just a run before Adam Russell slammed the door in the ninth for his ninth save. Justin Sellers also homered for Albuquerque.
Vargas gave up six earned runs on five hits and six walks and struck out six Beavers in 5 1/3 innings.
The Beavers and Isotopes finish their four-game series Monday at PGE Park at 1:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Baxter, who stole his 18th base in the sixth inning, is four home runs and two stolen bases shy of the Beavers' second 20-homer, 20-steal season since 2001. He would join Jason Bay, who hit 20 home runs and stole 23 bases in 2003 ... Baxter leads all of professional baseball with 27 runs scored since July 23 ... Baxter has homered and stolen a base in the same game three times this season ... Aaron Cunningham drew three walks for Portland ... Luis Perdomo pitched in his league-leading 50th game for Portland, allowing four runs in 1 2/3 innings.
Beavers Game File SUNDAY'S GAME: Beavers 6, Albuquerque 5 WINNING PITCHER: Luebke (4-0) LOSING PITCHER: Vargas (2-6) SAVE: Russell (9) HOME RUNS: Baxter (16), Barfield (4), Sellers (9), Lindsey (20) MONDAY'S GAME: Albuquerque (Charlie Haeger: 2-1, 4.99) at Portland (Josh Geer: 9-9, 5.65), 1:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on www.portlandbeavers.com and tape-delayed broadcast on Freedom 970 AM at 7 p.m. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 15, 2010
- Reno Downs Z's 7-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Aces Rally in the 8th to Top Zephyrs, 7-4 - Reno Aces
- Sounds Lose Third Straight Game to Bees, 5-4 - Nashville Sounds
- Baxter, Barfield Back Luebke in Beavers' 6-5 Win - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Fall at Tacoma 8-5 in 10 Innings - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Walk off Winners Against Round Rock, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sky Sox Top Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Fall Short Against Round Rock In Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
- Express Overcome Tacoma 2-1 In 14 Innings - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss