Bats Sleep against Long Island Wednesday
EAST ISLIP, N.Y. - Long Island's Akeel Morris pitched seven strong innings, holding the High Point Rockers to just three hits as the Ducks beat the Rockers 12-2 on Wednesday night at Fairfield Properties Ballpark. The Rockers managed just five hits on the evening against Morris and a pair of relievers.
The Ducks tagged High Point starter Craig Stem for nine runs on seven hits as Stem's record fell to 0-3. Morris struck out six and walked two in his seven innings of work in improving to 1-0.
Cesar Trejo had two hits including a two-run homer in the eighth inning to account for High Point's only runs. It was Trejo's team-leading fourth home run of the season. Jared Mitchell, Stuart Levy and Edwin Arroyo collected the other three hits for the Rockers.
Long Island took a 1-0 lead in the second inning on a home run by Ryan Jackson. The Ducks added a trio of runs in the third when Jesse Berardi hit a solo homer followed by a single by Johnni Turbo and a run scoring single from L.J. Mazzilli before a bases loaded hit by pitch by Rey Fuentes. Steve Lombardozzi hit a sacrifice fly in the fourth to give the Ducks a 5-0 lead. Long Island cracked the game open with seven runs in the fifth inning.
The Rockers will play the third and final game of the series against the Ducks on Thursday at 6:35 at Fairfield Properties Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 9, 2021
- Revs Offense Explodes in 12-1 Win over Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Ducks Blast Past Rockers to Even Series - Long Island Ducks
- Bats Sleep against Long Island Wednesday - High Point Rockers
- WV Power Game Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Welch Shuts Down Crabs as Revs Take Opener - York Revolution
- Honey Hunters Capture Series Opener, 16-14 - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent High Point Rockers Stories
- Casad Keeps Southern Maryland off Balance, Rockers Win 4-1
- Rockers Drop Fourth Straight after Southern Maryland Rallies
- Game Notes: High Point Rockers vs. Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Legends Use Big Seventh to Power past Rockers 12-7
- Owens, Legends Top Rockers in Pitchers Duel