Barrett inks new deal with Toronto FC
Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club has signed 23 year old American forward Chad Barrett to a four-year contract extension. Barrett was acquired from the Chicago Fire on July 27th, 2008 as part of the deal for forward Brian McBride. In that deal, Toronto also received a 2009 1st round MLS SuperDraft pick and conditional future considerations.
Now in his fourth MLS season, Barrett has 20 career goals, two of them coming in a Toronto FC uniform. He has also recorded 11 career assists.
"We are very happy to get this deal finished and get Chad in here for another four years," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "There were a number of other clubs that were interested in Chad, but we're pleased to say that he wants to be a member of this team for many years to come and we're delighted by that."
"I said when I came here from Chicago that this would be a fresh start for me," said Barrett. "I'm excited about staying here, working with the coaching staff, winning more games, and hopefully scoring a lot more goals. I love the city, and my teammates are great - so I'm pretty happy about everything."
With eight games remaining in the MLS regular season, Barrett has seven goals, and four assists putting him in seventh spot overall in the Budweiser Golden Boot scoring race. The forward has also received just one booking all season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 3, 2008
- Earthquakes to Play Club Deportivo FAS on October 7 at Buck Shaw - San Jose Earthquakes
- RSL's Fabian Espindola Awarded Sierra Mist Goal of the Week - Real Salt Lake
- KCW Juniors Goalkeeper Jonathan Kempin Selected to United States U-17 Residency Program - Sporting Kansas City
- FCD Juniors M Alex Molano Joins U.S. Soccer Residency Program - FC Dallas
- Revs to face Crew in important game - New England Revolution
- First-place Crew hosts N.E. Saturday in key Eastern clash - Columbus Crew SC
- Kansas City Wizards Acquire Forward Herculez Gomez from Colorado Rapids - Sporting Kansas City
- Barrett inks new deal with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Rapids Trade Herculez Gomez To Kansas City - Colorado Rapids
- RED BULL ACADEMY PLAYER CALLED into residency program - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution's Cristman to Undergo Season-Ending Surgery - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Academy players to Under-17 National Team Residency Program - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.