Barons Sputter in Series Opener against Generals
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Birmingham Barons (8-8) fell to the Jackson Generals (8-8) 5-1 in the series opener Saturday night at Regions Field.
It was a hot start for Jackson and they never fully fell out of control. Diamondbacks top prospect Jazz Chisholm took Barons left-hander starter Kodi Medeiros deep for his third homer of the season in the second to make it 1-0.
Later in the top of the seventh, Chisholm went yard again with a two-run shot to right to push the lead to 5-1.
D-Backs No. 17 prospect Pavin Smith, who finished the game 3-for-5, led-off the third inning with a triple and came home to score on a passed ball moments later to make it 2-1. The Generals would tack on another run in the inning on an RBI double by Jeffrey Baez to make it 3-1.
With the Barons trailing 1-0, White Sox No. 18 prospect Gavin Sheets led off the second inning by crushing his first home run of the season to right-center to tie the game.
Jackson starter Riley Smith earned his first win of the season, improving to 1-2 after going six complete innings, surrendering one run and striking out five. Medeiros took the loss, going five complete innings, giving up three runs and punching out three Generals.
Both teams combined to go 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
Barons catcher Yermin Mercedes, batting .400 on the season coming in, singled in the fourth inning. The hit extended his hitting streak to eight consecutive games and he has hit in all of his contests this season except for his first.
The Barons will pick it back up against the Generals at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday from Regions Field. Right-hander Jimmy Lambert (1-1, 2.25 ERA) will get the start on the bump for the Barons.
WJQX-FM 100.5 will be the home of the Barons on Sunday. Fans can tune into the Coca-Cola Pregame Show starting at 3:45 p.m.
The Birmingham Barons are the proud Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. The Barons will open the home portion of their 2019 season, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of Michael Jordan's lone year in baseball, against the Tennessee Smokies at 7:05 p.m. April 10 at Regions Field. For ticket information, game schedule, promotions calendar or additional information about Regions Field, please visit barons.com or call (205) 988-3200.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Eight-Run Inning Steams Shuckers Past Jumbo Shrimp - Biloxi Shuckers
- Lookouts No Kodak Moment - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Poppen Leads Blue Wahoos to Shutout Win over BayBears - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Sputter in Series Opener against Generals - Birmingham Barons
- Shuckers Rally Past Shrimp 12-7 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Going for 2: Chisholm Launches Multiple Homers in 5-1 Win - Jackson Generals
- M-Braves Shut out by Biscuits in Series Opener - Mississippi Braves
- Worth the Wait; Smokies Bats Heat up After Delay - Tennessee Smokies
- Fantastic Mr. Fox Propels Biscuits to 5-0 Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Beggs to New Orleans - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: April 20 at Birmingham - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, April 20 vs. Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Split Twin Bill, Take Series - Montgomery Biscuits
- Biloxi Splits Doubleheader with Pensacola - Biloxi Shuckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.