Barnstormers Juan Apodaca Chosen as Top Defensive Catcher
Juan Apodaca, the right-handed batter of the Lancaster Barnstormers' catching tandem, was named by Atlantic League club officials as the circuit's top defensive receiver for the 2015 season, it was announced today.
It marked the first time that the Atlantic League has selected the Red, White and Blue All-Defense Team in its 18-year history.
Apodaca, 29, spent his second season in Lancaster. He threw out 27% of potential base stealers, well ahead of the league average. With Apodaca behind the plate more than any of the other four catchers used by the Barnstormers in 2015, the club finished tops in the league in allowing the fewest combined wild pitches and passed balls at 70, 14 better than the next club.
"Juan is polished," said manager Butch Hobson. "He threw even better in 2015 than he did in 2014. Plus, our pitchers love throwing to him."
Long Island shortstop Dan Lyons was selected as the winner of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award as the league's best defensive player at any position.
The Lancaster Barnstormers are entering their twelfth season as a member of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. Home games are played at Clipper Magazine Stadium in downtown Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Please call 717.509.HITS (4487) or visit LancasterBarnstormers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from October 14, 2015
- Tandem Earns All-Defense Team Recognition; Grounds Crew Named ALPB Best - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Two Sharks Named to All Defense Team - Camden Riversharks
- Barnstormers Juan Apodaca Chosen as Top Defensive Catcher - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Lyons Claims Inaugural Gold Glove Award - Long Island Ducks
- Patriots 2B Nate Spears, Pitcher Roy Merritt Named to Atlantic League All-Defensive Team - Somerset Patriots
- Revs 1B Andres Perez Named to Atlantic League All-Defense Team - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.