Barnstormers FB Rodney Filer Set to Retire
Des Moines, Iowa - Iowa Barnstormers Fullback and 13 year veteran Rodney Filer has announced that the 2012 season will be his last as a player in the Arena Football League. Filer's career will come to an end on Saturday, July 21 when the Iowa Barnstormers face the San Antonio Talons at Wells Fargo Arena.
Filer first signed with the Barnstormers in 1998, fresh off a college career at the University of Iowa. The Waco, TX native was recruited to Iowa by Hayden Fry. Filer's best season with the Hawkeyes was 1996 when he rushed for 249 yards. Fans might remember him best for his 14 yard touchdown in the 1996 Alamo Bowl. After Rodney's time at Iowa, he played professionally for two seasons with the NFL's San Diego Chargers before returning to Iowa to sign with the Barnstormers.
Filer's AFL career has seen the Fullback play for 5 different teams, including Iowa (1998-99), the New York Dragons (2001-04), Las Vegas Gladiators (2005-06), Tampa Bay Storm (2007), and Utah Blaze (2008). He returned to Iowa to rejoin the Barnstormers in 2010 and has been the cornerstone of the franchise for the past three seasons. Filer currently ranks sixth all-time in AFL rushing yards with 1,218.
This season has been one of his best as he has already rushed for 133 yards and a career high 12 touchdowns.
When asked to comment on his upcoming retirement Filer stated, "I'd like to thank all of my teammates, coaches and people that I've met on this great journey, but most importantly I'd like to thank my family for allowing me to follow my dreams and all the fans for their support. You are simply the best." In conjunction with Rodney's last game as a Barnstormer, the team has announced that the first 1,000 kids through the gates will receive a FREE replica #34 Rodney Filer Jersey at the July 21 home game, courtesy of Scrap Processors, Inc.
Filer plans on remaining in Iowa following his retirement. Filer and his wife Gigi are the co-founders of Gigi's Pilates Studio & Personal Training in downtown Des Moines, where both work as personal trainers.
Tickets for the July 21 home game are available for purchase right now at the Wells Fargo Arena box office, by calling the Barnstormers at 515.633.2255 or online at www.theiowabarnstormers.com .
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from July 6, 2012
- Milwaukee's offense struggles to find end zone in pivotal loss - Milwaukee Mustangs
- Orlando Predators Roll Past Cleveland Gladiators, 55-34 - Orlando Predators
- Gladiators Fall in Orlando, 55-34 to Predators - Cleveland Gladiators
- Barnstormers FB Rodney Filer Set to Retire - Iowa Barnstormers
- SaberCats Host VooDoo on Saturday Night, Can Potentially Clinch Playoff Berth - San Jose SaberCats
- Barmstormers Add New Blood for Stretch Run - Iowa Barnstormers
- Soul to Host Military Job Fair on Sunday - Philadelphia Soul
- Soul to Host Charity Flip Cup Tournament - Philadelphia Soul
- Booker Named Week 18 National Guard Community MVP - AFL
- Command vs. Iowa Barnstormers Game Preview - Kansas City Command
- Tonight's Game - What You Need to Know - Jacksonville Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.