Barnstormers Come Into The Hardware City And Win Handily Over Bees
(New Britain, CT) - The Lancaster Barnstormers (22-33, 46-79) defeated the New Britain Bees (27-27, 62-61) 13-1 at New Britain Stadium on Friday evening in the opener of a four-game weekend series between inter-division foes.
New Britain starting pitcher Rainy Lara (7-11) was tagged with the loss after surrendering seven runs (six earned runs) on seven hits (one home run) in four and one-third innings pitched, walking two while striking out five. Lancaster starting pitcher Jared Lakind (7-7) picked up the win, allowing one run on one hit (one home run) in seven innings on the mound, walking two and striking out three.
Lancaster took a 3-0 lead versus Lara in the top half of the second inning when Darian Sandford laced an RBI single to that scored Destin Hood and after the ball was misplayed by right fielder Jared James, the two-base error allowed Anderson De La Rosa and Josh Bell to cross the plate as well with Sandford advancing all the way to third base. The visitors sent ten batters to the plate in the fifth, scoring five more times to open up a commanding 8-0 advantage, highlighted by a two-run single from Sandford and a three-run home run to right off the bat of Joe Terdoslavich, his 21st big fly of the campaign. Lakind was sharp all game long as the southpaw had both his no hitter and shutout broken up with one big swing of the when Jason Rogers hit a majestic of a solo home run to left with two away in the home half of the sixth, the 13th of the season for the power-hitting right-hander and run batted in number 84, tying him with Lancaster's Caleb Gindl for second overall in the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. The boys from the Hardware City were held in check the rest of the way offensively as the Barnstormers came into the Nutmeg State and snapped their six-game losing streak while ending New Britain's streak of six consecutive wins in the process as well. Rogers (five-game hitting streak, seven-game on-base streak) and Darren Ford each had one of the two hits in total for the Bees en route to the loss.
The Bees continue their series with the Lancaster Barnstormers at New Britain Stadium on Saturday, September 7th. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be a Coors Light Saturday Night and Military Appreciation Night in the Hardware City! Join the Bees to help honor all of those who have served in the Military by attending Military Appreciation Night, presented by Connecticut Troops to Teachers. All past and present Military will be able to attend the ballgame for FREE! Don't forget, five dollar Coors Light drafts will be available at any concession stand ALL NIGHT LONG!
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 7, 2019
- Long Island Opens Homestand with Doubleheader Sweep - Long Island Ducks
- Two Home Runs Propel Bees To Victory Over Barnstormers - New Britain Bees
- High Point Homers Overpower Patriots - Somerset Patriots
- York Wins in Offensive Explosion - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Anderson Falls Shy of Strikeout Mark in 3-1 Loss - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Barnstormers Come Into The Hardware City And Win Handily Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Revs Face Near No-Hitter in Loss to Blue Crabs - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Bees Close Out Winning Campaign With Convincing Triumph Over Patriots
- Patriots Win Knocks Bees Out Of The Playoff Picture
- Historic Evening In The Garden State Keeps Bees Playoff Hopes Alive
- Bees Keep Rockers Champagne On Ice For At Least One More Night
- Rockers Win Deals Bees Crushing Blow To Playoff Hopes