Banks Named CFL Top Performer for Week 5
The Canadian Football League announced Tuesday that Hamilton Tiger-Cats wide receiver/kick returner Brandon Banks has been named the CFL's Top Performer for Week 5.
Banks, 31, registered nine receptions for 86 yards and two touchdowns, and added a third touchdown on a 115-yard missed field goal return in Hamilton's 30-23 home win Saturday over the Calgary Stampeders at Tim Hortons Field. Banks' missed field goal return touchdown was the fifth of his career, setting a CFL record by passing Bashir Levingston who is the only other player in CFL history to have at least four.
Through Week 5, Banks leads the CFL in targets (50), receptions (36), receiving yards (506), yards after catch (184), total touchdowns (6) and combined yards (805). The 5-7, 150-pound native of Garner, North Carolina now has 50 career touchdowns (32 receiving, five rushing, seven punt returns, one kickoff return, five missed field goal returns) and sits tied for fourth in Tiger-Cats' franchise history with Dave Fleming behind Earl Winfield (87), Garney Henley (56) and Tommy Grant (54).
Montreal's Vernon Adams Jr. and Winnipeg's Andrew Harris, second and third in voting, respectively, join Banks as this week's CFL Top Performers. The three players were chosen by a panel of judges who independently send their selections to the CFL head office. The panel includes former Canadian Football League players Matt Dunigan and Duane Forde of TSN and Pierre Vercheval of RDS.
Tiger-Cats named CFL Top Performers of the Week this season:
Sean Thomas Erlington - Week 2 (3rd)
Ja'Gared Davis - Week 3 (3rd)
Brandon Banks - Week 5 (1st)
Tiger-Cats named CFL Top Performers of the Month this season:
Brandon Banks - June (2nd)
Sean Thomas Erlington - June (3rd)
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from July 16, 2019
- Stamps Return Home to Face Argos - Calgary Stampeders
- BC Lions Add Cheridor to Practice Roster - B.C. Lions
- Deane Joins Active Roster - Edmonton Eskimos
- Simoni Lawrence Suspension Upheld by Arbitrator - CFL
- Ricky Ray Takes His Place on Eskimos Wall of Honour - Edmonton Eskimos
- Injury Update: Matt O'Donnell - Edmonton Eskimos
- Felix Faubert-Lussier Returns to the Alouettes - Montreal Alouettes
- Andrew Harris Named Shaw CFL Top Performer for Week 5 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Banks Named CFL Top Performer for Week 5 - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Vernon Adams Jr. Named Among CFL Players of the Week - Montreal Alouettes
- Brandon Banks, Vernon Adams Jr. and Andrew Harris named Shaw CFL Top Performers - CFL
- Korey Jones Added to Practice Roster - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Temple Released - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.