B-Sens Make It a Perfect Weekend with Shootout Win in Utica
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators prevailed in a shootout 3-2 over the Utica Comets completing a perfect six point weekend.
Joseph LaBate opened the scoring for the Comets in the first period with his sixth goal of the year off assists from Alex Friesen and Taylor Fedun. Utica took the 1-0 lead to the locker room while outshooting Binghamton 18-6 in the opening period.
Ryan Rupert tied the game up for the B-Sens just over two minutes into the middle frame after getting a goal past Joe Cannata off assists from Ben Harpur and Casey Bailey. Five minutes later Carter Bancks regained the lead for Utica with a power-play goal, but Phil Varone brought it back to a tie game after putting home a lucky bounce for his 18th goal of the year just over a minute later. The teams went to locker rooms tied for the final intermission with Utica outshooting the B-Sens 18-7.
Matt O'Connor and Cannata held the teams scoreless for the final period pushing the game into overtime. Despite Utica having six shots on goal and Binghamton having none during the extra time, the game was still tied and pushed to a shootout.
Friesen was the lone Comets player to score during the shootout while Varone and Bailey both scored to give the B-Sens the 3-2 win. Binghamton was outshot 19-48 throughout the entire game.
The B-Sens visit Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Wednesday for a 7:00p.m. puck drop against the Penguins. Fans can listen live on US 96.9FM, WINR 680AM or on the iHeart Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2016
- Comeback Effort Falls Just Short in Front of Another PPL Center Sellout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Griffins' 13-Game Win Streak Snapped in 2-0 Defeat at San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Malcolm, Wolf Pack Blank Springfield 3-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins' Comebacks Topple Bears in OT, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Come up Short in 4-1 Loss to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Four-Goal Second Period Helps Lift Crunch over IceCaps, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Fall to IceHogs in Marathon Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport wins fifth in a row thanks to third period comeback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Come up Empty against Wolf Pack - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Halt Griffins' Win Streak with 2-0 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Come Back to Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Dumped by Crunch 6-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Continue Road Trip Roll, Beat Americans 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Experience Uncharacteristic Loss - Albany Devils
- Admirals Strike Late to Stop Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Earn Comeback Win over Chicago - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Settle for a Point in Shootout Loss - Utica Comets
- Flames Recall Wotherspoon from Stockton on An Emergency Basis - Stockton Heat
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Clip Monsters, 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens Make It a Perfect Weekend with Shootout Win in Utica - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Three-In-Three Ends Today in Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Predators Recall Bourque, Nystrom - Milwaukee Admirals
- Jets Recall De Leo - Manitoba Moose
- Avalanche Recalls Mikko Rantanen, Rampage Recalls Trevor Cheek - San Antonio Rampage
- G Anthony Stolarz Recalled by Flyers, G Martin Ouellette Recalled by Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Overtime Woes Continue, Hogs Lose 4-3 - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Fall in OT in Wild Game with Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Third Period Comeback Pushes Heat Past Bako - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Win 13th Straight, Defeat Texas Stars 6-5 in OT Thriller - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Reign Fall to the Gulls, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.