Austin Riley Named International League Batter of the Week
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Gwinnett Stripers third baseman and left fielder Austin Riley has been named the International League Batter of the Week for May 6-12, the league announced Monday.
Riley, 22, batted .296 (8-for-27) with one double, four home runs, seven runs scored, eight RBIs, a .778 slugging percentage, and a 1.184 OPS in seven games during the week. He recorded his fourth multi-homer game of the season on May 8 vs. Buffalo, launching a pair of solo shots in the Stripers' 9-2 victory. Riley also homered in back-to-back games on May 11 and May 12 vs. Pawtucket, keying Gwinnett's 8-4 and 5-4 wins.
Ranked the Atlanta Braves' No. 4 prospect and the No. 32 prospect in baseball by MLB.com, Riley is batting .300 (42-for-140) in 36 games during his second season with Gwinnett. As of May 13, he leads the IL in home runs (14), runs (31), RBIs (35), extra-base hits (24), and total bases (94), and ranks in the league's top 10 in slugging percentage (2nd, .671), OPS (3rd, 1.047), hits (4th, 42), and doubles (T-6th, 10). He has homered 12 times in his last 17 games since April 25 and ranks third in the IL in batting in that span (.400, 26-for-65, 21 runs, 26 RBIs, 1.046 slugging percentage, 1.526 OPS).
Atlanta's Competitive Balance Round A pick (41st overall) in the 2015 draft out of DeSoto Center High School in Southaven, Miss., Riley has combined to hit .288 with 27 doubles, 26 home runs, 72 runs, 82 RBI, a .531 slugging percentage, and an .877 OPS over 111 career games with Gwinnett. He batted .282 with 17 doubles, 12 home runs, and 47 RBIs during his Triple-A debut last season, helping earn him the Braves' Hank Aaron Minor League Player of the Year award for 2018.
Riley's first career IL Batter of the Week award makes him the third Stripers player to be honored by the league this season. Mike Soroka was named IL Pitcher of the Week for April 4-7, and Andres Blanco was named IL Batter of the Week for April 8-14.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Vic Gregovits Named Louisville Bats Chief Operating Officer - Louisville Bats
- Golf Night Is Tuesday, May 21 - Rochester Red Wings
- Austin Riley Named International League Batter of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- McRae Earns International League Pitcher of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Show Growth at Gates in 2019
- Stripers' Season Ends in 5-4 Game 4 Loss at Columbus
- Stripers Stay Alive with 10-6 Win in Columbus
- Four-Run Fourth Keys Columbus in 7-3 Win over Stripers
- Stripers Fall 5-4 to Columbus Despite Homers from Riley, Duvall