Austin FC Draw away at Seattle Sounders FC
Seattle, WA - Austin FC traveled to the MLS leading Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday night and came away with a point, playing the Sounders to a 0-0 draw at Lumen Field.
The first half played out evenly, with each team taking six (6) shots and having one (1) on target. Sounders forward Raúl Ruidíaz nearly saw a chance from a poor angle end up below the crossbar, while Cecilio Domínguez whistled a shot from outside the box at Seattle goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland.
Austin had its best chance of the match in the 53rd minute when ATXFC were able to challenge the Sounders on the counter. Diego Fagundez made his way to the endline and pulled it back to Domínguez, whose shot was blocked by Nouhou Tolo.
The Sounders thought they found a game-winner in the 75h minute when João Paulo made his way through the Austin defense and crossed the ball to Fredy Montero on the back post. But the ball hit off Ruidíaz, who was in an offside position, and the goal was called back after video review.
Both clubs had more chances to score towards the end of the match. Austin FC's Jared Stroud had a one-on-one opportunity with the Sounders' goalkeeper, but saw his shot saved. In the end, neither club was able to find a match-winner. In the final minutes of the match, Manny Perez made his Austin debut, coming on in stoppage time for Domínguez.Austin FC will play one (1) more match on the road before coming to Q2 Stadium for the Club's inaugural home opener against the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, June 19. Next up, Austin will travel back to Kansas City to take on Sporting KC at Children's Mercy Park on Saturday, June 12 at 2:00pm CT. The match will be broadcast locally on The CW Austin (English) and UniMás 62 Austin (Spanish), and on radio locally in Austin on ALT 97.5 FM (English) and in Spanish on TUDN Radio Austin (104.3-HD2, KLQB).
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff: "Really proud of the guys. First for answering the bell and competing and second grinding their hearts out and putting together a real collective effort."
Wolff on playing Cecilio Domínguez up top: "I think Cecilio brings a little bit different dynamic as a center striker. He's got cleverness. He's grindy, he's gritty, he's unpredictable and he can also bring guys into the game."
Austin FC Club Captain Alexander Ring on the team's performance: "I think we performed as a team. We attacked together, we defended together. Each and everyone did their job that they were assigned by Josh."
SEA - Xavier Arreaga (caution) '2
ATX - Nick Lima (caution) '24
ATX - Jared Stroud (caution) 45'+2'
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff digital press conference
Austin FC Midfielder Alex Ring digital press conference
Austin FC at Seattle Sounders FC | Lumen Field (Seattle, WA) | May 30, 2021
Austin FC: Brad Stuver, Matt Besler, Julio Cascante, Nick Lima, Å1/2an Kolmanič, Alex Ring (c), Tomás Pochettino, Diego Fagundez, Cecilio Domínguez (Manny Perez 90'+2'), Jared Stroud (Sebastian Berhalter 90'+5'), Jon Gallagher (Rodney Redes 87')
Substitutes not used: Jhohan Romaña, Aedan Stanley, Freddy Kleemann, Kekuta Manneh, Andrew Tarbell, William Pulisic
Head Coach: Josh Wolff
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 2
Seattle Sounders FC: Stefan Cleveland, Nouhou Tolo, Yeimar Gómez, Xavier Arreaga, Kelyn Rowe (Jimmy Medranda 66'), Alex Roldan, João Paulo, Brad Smith (Danny Leyva 86'), Raúl Ruidíaz, Fredy Montero (Will Bruin 79'), Cristian Roldan (c)
Substitutes not used: Ethan Dobbelaere, Shane O'Neill, Reed Baker-Whiting, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Spencer Richey
Head Coach: Brian Schmetzer
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 3
Referee: Rosendo Mendoza
Assistant Referee 1: Jeremy Hanson
Assistant Referee 2: Walt Heatherly
Fourth Official: Nima Saghafi
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 68 degrees
Statistical source: MLSsoccer.com / Opta
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 31, 2021
- LA Galaxy Goalkeeper Jonathan Bond Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 7 - MLS
- New York City FC Goalkeeper Luis Barraza and Defender Chris Gloster Join USL Championship Sides on Loan - New York City FC
- Josef Martinez Called up to Venezuela National Team for World Cup Qualifying Matches - Atlanta United FC
- Rémy Vercoutre to Step Down as Goalkeeper Coach - Club de Foot Montreal
- Houston Dynamo FC Midfielder Darwin Cerén Named to El Salvador National Team - Houston Dynamo FC
- Seattle Sounders FC and Austin FC Split Points in Scoreless Draw at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Austin FC Draw away at Seattle Sounders FC - Austin FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Ryan Madden Joins Austin FC as Vice President of Communications & Media
- Austin FC Defeats Houston Dynamo FC, 3-2
- Austin FC's 4ATX Foundation Partners with Academy Sports + Outdoors on Soccer Equipment Drive in August
- Austin FC Falls 0-1 to Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Partners with Freedom Solar to Support Energy Efficiency at Q2 Stadium