Attack Fall to Spirit in Saginaw
The Owen Sound Attack began a southern road trip tonight in Saginaw, taking on the Spirit in a Friday night affair at the Dow Event Center. The Attack and Spirit have met only once prior this season, a 3-0 win for Saginaw at the Bayshore early in the season. Owen Sound comes in tonight hoping for a solid start to three games in 4 days.
The first period began with Owen Sound forcing some early pressure on Saginaw goaltender Ivan Prosvetov, but D.J. Busdeker would strike first with his 13th of the season to give the Spirit a 1-0 lead 6:06 into the 1st. The veterans continued to make their presence felt for the Spirit and Owen Tippett struck minutes later for his 28th of the season to make it 2-0, while Cole Coskey scored his 31st of the year to give the Spirit a 3-0 lead. The Attack had a 4-minute powerplay late in the period but couldn't convert and would head to the first intermission trailing by three.
Hoping to get back into the game, the Owen Sound Attack killed off a penalty to begin the 2nd and had their best two minutes of pressure in the game. Unfortunately, nothing could get past Prosvetov and Albert Michnac scored his 16th of the year to put Saginaw up 4-0. The Spirit continued to build their lead and Cole Perfetti notched his 24th less than two minutes later and Busdeker put his 2nd of the night past MacLean and it was 6-0 after 40 minutes.
Despite the lopsided score, both teams came out full of energy and ready to battle in the 3rd period. There was plenty of action and odd man rushes as both teams wanted to add to the scoreboard but there were zero scoring plays through the first 15 minutes of the game. It wasn't until the final minute of play that Igor Chibrikov ripped his 1st of the year past Prosvetov to end his shutout bid and put the Attack on the board. The game would end 6-1 in favour of the Spirit.
The Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game was Brady Lyle. The Mac Taylor Corporation Three Stars were swept by the Spirit, with Cole Perfetti, Ivan Prosvetov and DJ Busdeker claiming the honours.
The Owen Sound Attack will be back in action tomorrow night against the Firebirds in Flint. Puck drops at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Knights Drop Close Contest in Overtime - London Knights
- Steelheads Extend Point Streak with Win over Frontenacs - Mississauga Steelheads
- Windsor Too Strong for Sting - Sarnia Sting
- Fronts Drop 4-1 Decision to Steelheads - Kingston Frontenacs
- Bulldogs Drop 8-1 Decision in Ottawa - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Attack Fall to Spirit in Saginaw - Owen Sound Attack
- Rangers Beat the Storm 5-2 - Kitchener Rangers
- 67's Kick off Long Weekend with 8-1 Win over Hamilton - Ottawa 67's
- Spirit Clinch OHL Playoff Berth After 6-1 Win over Owen Sound - Saginaw Spirit
- Otters Win Third Straight in 4-3 OT Victory over Knights - Erie Otters
- OHL Announces Sanctions against the Niagara IceDogs Hockey Club - OHL
- Preview: Firebirds Host Oshawa Generals Friday in Flint - Flint Firebirds
- Struthers Strikes in Overtime - North Bay Battalion
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Owen Sound Attack Stories
- 2 from Groulx Leads Attack in 4-2 Win over Rangers
- Second Period Penalty Woes Sink Attack in Kitchener, 9-3
- Robinson Leads Attack to 30th Victory of Season, 5-1 over Colts
- Joe Tomato's Weekend Preview - Week 26
- Attack Seeking Fundraising Game Partner for 2019-2020 Season