NFL, MLB, CFL stats

Attack Fall in Shootout to Visiting Knights

November 28, 2021 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) - Owen Sound Attack News Release

It was the sixth meeting in under a two month stretch for the Owen Sound Attack and London Knights, with the visiting Knights taking another close game 5-4 in the shootout.

This was the first game between the Mid-West division rivals, that Brody Crane was in the line up since Crane's cross-checking Attack captain Mark Woolley from behind. Though Crane had gotten a suspension, the Attack felt that it wasn't enough and wanted their pound of flesh for their captain.

It was rookie defensemen Madden Steen, who stepped up, as just under three minutes into the game, he and Crane dropped the gloves for a spirited tilt. This was only the beginning of the fireworks at the Bayshore however.

It was before the five minute mark of the period, when London jumped out to a 1-0 lead, and had the majority of puck possession for much of the period.

Late in the first period is when more fireworks went off, first as Attack rookie Cal Uens squared off with Knights Landon Sim, after the former tripped the young Attack blue liner in front of the net. It was less than a minute later, when another Attack rookie Julian Fantino answered the bell for his hard hit on a London player, when he dropped the gloves with Max McCue. Ultimately, the teams combined for 36 penalty minutes in the opening frame, while the Attack went to the intermission trailing by a goal.

It id not take long into the second period for the Attack to event he score, as Deni Goure corralled a loose puck in front and slid it into an empty net, after Knights goalie Brett Brochu went diving out trying to cover the puck. It only took London about five minutes to regain their lead, but the periods theme seemed to be trading goals, as Owen Sound would always answer and tie the game shortly after.

Heading into the third period all squared at three, the Attack were able to grab their first lead of the contest, when Ethan Burroughs ripped a shot post and in, after a neutral zone turn-over by the Knights. From there it looked like the Attack were going to smother London in their half of the ice, as the home team gave the Knights no chance for sustained offensive pressure. It was late in the period though, when Knights captain Luke Evangelista went flying through the neutral zone and sniped a perfect shot top corner to even the game with under four minutes to play.

The teams traded chances in overtime, but ultimately could not solve the tie and the shootout was needed. Goure had put the Attack up in the second round of shooters, only to be answered by London's Antonio Stranges, before Abakar Kazbekov scored on the final shot to win the game for the Knights.

Nick Chenard was solid in the Attack net, especially in overtime where he came up with some timely saves to give his team a chance.

The Attack struggled all night around the net, as the puck was bouncing over sticks or ringing off the post.

Owen Sound will now flip the calendar to December after a successful month of November which saw them collect points in all but one contest.

Owen Sound will travel to Kitchener for their third meeting with the Rangers Friday night, before returning to the Bayshore where they will see the Flint Firebirds for the first time this season, when they play a Saturday, Sunday double-header at the Bayshore.

• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...

Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 28, 2021

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Owen Sound Attack Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew
OurSports Central