Atlanta United Signs Luke Brennan, Alan Carleton and Nick Firmino to Short-Term Agreements
March 23, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Atlanta United FC News Release
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today announced that it has signed Luke Brennan, Alan Carleton and Nick Firmino to Short-Term Agreements for Saturday's match against Columbus Crew (7:30 p.m. EST, MLS Season Pass, Star 94, La Mejor).
Per 2023 MLS Roster Rules and Regulations, a club may sign a player, age 25 or younger during the league season, from its affiliate (MLS NEXT Pro) to a maximum of four Short-Term Agreements (up to four-day contracts) each season (maximum of 16 days). An individual player may be included on up to four MLS league season match rosters each season, however, that player may appear in no more than two MLS league season matches. An individual player may appear in any number of non-league games during the terms of his four Short-Term Agreements.
A club may roster up to four players on Short-Term Agreements per MLS league season match, so long as they are Homegrown Players or Players earning less than or equal to the MLS Senior Minimum Salary ($85,444) with the affiliate. This number will be reduced to one player per MLS league season match after Roster Freeze (inclusive of MLS Cup Playoffs). Additional players may also be signed to Short-Term Agreements for MLS league season games but only in cases of Extreme Hardship.
Brennan, 18, has seen playing time with ATL UTD 2 in each of the past two seasons. The former Academy standout made his professional debut for ATL UTD 2 on Oct. 17, 2021 against Memphis 901 FC. Last season, the forward made 27 appearances in the USL Championship including 11 starts. His first professional goal came on July 6, 2022 in a 3-3 draw against Birmingham Legion FC. He followed that up with another goal in the next match against FC Tulsa. Later in the campaign, Brennan contributed his first two career assists and finished the season playing 1,044 minutes with ATL UTD 2. Brennan will become an Atlanta United Homegrown player effective Jan. 1, 2024.
Carleton, 17, was a member of the first-ever Atlanta United Academy team to take the field in 2016 at the Generation Adidas Cup. He's continued to progress through the Academy ranks and earned his professional debut last year with ATL UTD 2 in a 2-1 win at Hartford on April 3. His first start for ATL UTD 2 came on August 10 on the road at New York Red Bulls II. He finished his first professional season with 12 appearances, including two starts, and 276 total minutes played.
Firmino signed with ATL UTD 2 on March 2, 2022. The Brazilian-American midfielder came up through the New England Revolution Academy and signed a professional contract in November 2018, debuting in USL League One on July 25, 2020. The midfielder made 34 appearances with ATL UTD 2 last season in the USL Championship and recorded three goals and one assist.
2023 Atlanta United roster (as of March 23, 2023)
Goalkeepers (4): Clément Diop, Justin Garces^, Brad Guzan, Quentin Westberg
Defenders (10): Luis Abram, Noah Cobb, Andrew Gutman, Ronald Hernández, Brooks Lennon, Aiden McFadden, Efrain Morales^, Juanjo Purata, Miles Robinson, Caleb Wiley
Midfielders (13):â¯Thiago Almada, Ozzie Alonso, Ezequielâ¯Barco*, Alan Carleton^^, Derrick Etienne Jr., Nick Firmino^^, Ajani Fortune, Franco Ibarra, Marcelino Moreno**, Matheus Rossetto, Amar Sejdić, Santiago Sosa, Tyler Wolff
Forwards (9): Luiz Araújo, Miguel Berry, Luke Brennan^^, Erik Centeno^, Machop Chol, Jackson Conway****, Giorgos Giakoumakis, Erik López, Edwin Mosquera***
*On loan to River Plate through 2023 seasonâ¯
** On loan to Coritiba FC through 2023 seasonâ¯
*** On loan to Defensa y Justicia through 2023 season
****On loan to Phoenix Rising through 2023 season
^ On loan to ATL UTD 2 through 2023 season
^^ On short-term agreement
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 23, 2023
- Real Salt Lake Extends Contract for Captain Damir Kreilach - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville Soccer Club Returns to GEODIS Park this Saturday to Take on Conference Rival FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Red Bulls Head on Two Match Road Trip, Starting with Charlotte FC on Saturday Night - New York Red Bulls
- DRV PNK Stadium to Host University of Miami Spring Football Game on Friday, April 14 at 7:30 p.m. ET - Inter Miami CF
- Rebuild the Fortress: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- LAFC Retains Golden Boot Club Partnerships as the Club Kicks Off 2023 Season - Los Angeles FC
- By the Numbers: FC Cincinnati at Nashville SC - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Sign Homegrown Defender Nathan Harriel to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 5 - MLS
- News & Notes from Week 5: International Call-Ups, Familiar Faces and a Clash with Austin - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Signs Luke Brennan, Alan Carleton and Nick Firmino to Short-Term Agreements - Atlanta United FC
- New Contract for Defender Joel Waterman - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster
- Atlanta United Plays to 3-3 Draw vs. New England Revolution
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Plays to 1-1 Draw at Orlando City SC