Atlanta United 2 Falls 2-1 at Home to Tampa Bay Rowdies
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 fell 2-1 to Tampa Bay Rowdies on Wednesday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Group H action of the USL Championship. Academy midfielder Brendan Lambe made his professional debut.
In the 27th minute, Atlanta's goalkeeper Vicente Reyes was called into action as he made a diving save off a Yann Ekra long-distance shot. Reyes made two more key saves later in the half, while ATL UTD 2 had its biggest scoring chance in the 45th minute. After a quick counter, Jackson Conway found Amir Bashti down the left wing. Bashti crossed the ball to the far post where Phillip Goodrum took a touch and shot, but Evan Louro made the save to keep it scoreless at halftime.
Tampa Bay took the lead early in the second half. In the 50th minute, Leo Fernandes swung in a corner and Forrest Lasso headed the ball from six yards out to give the Rowdies the 1-0 lead. That lead only lasted five minutes as ATL UTD 2 forced the equalizer. After Bashti played Goodrum down the right wing, the central midfielder continued his run into the box. Goodrum's cross was just behind Bashti, but his run forced Tampa Bay's Jordan Scarlett to react late and deflect the ball into his own net.
Both teams continued to push to take the lead late in the match. Jack Gurr got on the end of a clearance and took a shot from 30 yards that was arrowing into the far corner following a slight deflection, but Louro made a great diving save. In stoppage time, Gurr had another good chance blocked by Fernandes at the last moment. On the other end, it was heartbreak for Atlanta as Tampa Bay found the game-winner in the fifth minute of stoppage time. Sebastian Guenzatti collected a cross from Sebastian Dalgaard at the top of the box and scored.
ATL UTD 2 (2-9-3, 9 points) will be back in action on Wednesday, Sept. 23 when they host New York Red Bulls II in the final home match of the 2020 USL Championship season at Fifth Third Bank Stadium (7:30 p.m., ESPN+).
Atlanta 1, Tampa Bay 2
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 19-11 Tampa Bay
Shots on Target: 7-4 Tampa Bay
Corner kicks: 9-1 Tampa Bay
Fouls committed: 18-8 Atlanta
Offside: 3-1 Tampa Bay
Possession: 58-42 Tampa Bay
Passing Accuracy: 80-72 Tampa Bay
TBR - Forrest Lasso 50' (Leo Fernandes)
ATL - Own Goal 55'
TBR - Sebastian Guenzatti 90+5' (Sebastian Dalgaard)
ATL - Phillip Goodrum 61' (yellow)
ATL - Ajani Fortune 67' (yellow)
TBR - Leo Fernandes 80' (yellow)
TBR - Kyle Murphy 82' (yellow)
ATL UTD 2 STARTING LINEUP
Vicente Reyes; Matthew Edwards (Daniel Steedman - 62'), Modou Jadama ©, Patrick Nielsen, Jack Gurr; Coleman Gannon, Brendan Lambe (Baboucarr Njie - 53'), Ajani Fortune; Phillip Goodrum, Jackson Conway (Lamin Jawneh - 86'), Amir Bashti.
Substitutes not used: Ben Lundgaard, Efrain Morales, David Mejia.
TAMPA BAY ROWDIES STARTING LINEUP
Evan Louro; Forrest Lasso, Jordan Scarlett, Aaron Guillen; Yann Ekra (Lewis Hilton - 79'), Leo Fernandes, Adam Najem (Kevin Mendoza - 79'), Jordan Doherty, Sebastian Dalgaard, Mustapha Dumbuya (Kyle Murphy - 67'); Sebastian Guenzatti ©.
Substitutes not used: Ian McGrane, Max Lachowecki, Alex Davey, Zach Steinberger.
Sergii Demianchuk (referee), Zachary McWhorter (assistant), Kevin Huet (assistant), Richonne Clark (fourth).
Academy midfielder Brendan Lambe made his professional debut. A total of five Academy players started tonight's match for ATL UTD 2
Tonight's average age for the ATL UTD 2 starting XI was 19.9, the second-youngest side starting this season (19.6 on 7/16 vs. Memphis 901 FC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 16, 2020
- Legion FC Attack Heats up in Miami - Birmingham Legion FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 2-1 at Home to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Atlanta United 2
- Indy Eleven Falls 0-2 In Last Chapter of 2020 Rivalry with Louisville City FC - Indy Eleven
- LouCity Knocks off Indy Eleven - Again - in Crucial Contest - Louisville City FC
- Philadelphia Union II Score Shutout Win over Loudoun United FC II - Philadelphia Union II
- Two First Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory - Hartford Athletic
- Republic FC Kickstart Grant Voting Now Open - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC to Host Tacoma on Sunday - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Match at Sacramento Republic FC Rescheduled for September 20 - Tacoma Defiance
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 13 - USL
- Indomitable Partner El Jimador to Donate to Local Food Banks with Fans Help - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Jamaican Defender Damion Lowe - Phoenix Rising FC
- Around the League Ã¢ÂÂ Championship Playoff Race and 2021 Expansion Club - Sacramento Republic FC
- LouCity's Hoppenot Earns USL Team of the Week Recognition - Louisville City FC
- Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Greens Sign Veteran Defender Ramon Martin Del Campo - OKC Energy FC
- Hartford Athletic to Host Drive-In Watch Party - Hartford Athletic
- LA Galaxy II Rally to Top Las Vegas Lights FC - LA Galaxy II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.