Two First Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory
It was the new signings that helped Athletic continue their playoff push in a 3-1 win over New York Red Bulls ll at Dillon Stadium. Hartford started off on the front foot early, newcomer Justin Haak and Aiden Mesias were pulling the strings and finding space all over the pitch. In the 11th minute, Hartford won a free kick right in front of the Red Bull bench. Another newcomer, Idan Cohen swung in an absolute beauty that found the head of Matheus Silva to put Hartford in front! This was the big Brazilian defender's first goal in the green and blue jersey.
Mesias, Cohen, and Danny Barrera were linking well on the far side throughout the first half. New York tested Goalkeeper Parfait Mandanda once or twice, but nothing seriously troubled the French goalkeeper. Right after the added time board showed 5 minutes, Alex Dixon picked up the ball outside the 18. The veteran tested young Red Bulls keeper Wallis Lapsley and his near-post strike went into the net to put Hartford two-nil up just before the half!
In the second half, Hartford and Red Bulls II shared the possession, but it was New York who made the most of it. In the 65th minute, Jake LaCava scored a deserved goal for his performance, tapping in unmarked at the back post.
10 minutes later in the 75th minute, Hartford started to rack up some corners. The second corner worked in Athletic's favor, the flicked on header fell to Haak. The loanee from New York City FC made no mistake and volleyed home to make in 3-1!
In the end, Hartford held on comfortably to take down Red Bulls II to make in three wins out of three on the season. Hartford will play third place RBII one more time, in the final match of the regular season at Red Bull Arena. Hartford hits the road on Sunday afternoon to take on Philadelphia Union II at 5 PM. You can watch the match on WCTX-MyTV9 or stream on hartfordathletic.com/watch.
Shots (On-Target): Hartford Athletic 13 (5) - 16 (5) RBII
Corners: Hartford Athletic 3-4 RBII
Fouls: Hartford Athletic 16-13 RBII
Offsides: Hartford Athletic 1-1 RBII
Possession: Hartford Athletic 44.2%-55.8% RBII
Passing Accuracy: Hartford Athletic 59.4%-65.1% RBII
Saves: Hartford Athletic 4-2 RBII
11' - Matheus Silva (Idan Cohen) 1-0
45+1' - Alex Dixon 2-0
64' - Jake LaCava (Chris Lema) 2-1
75' - Justin Haak 3-1
39' - Edgardo Rito (Yellow)
43' - Justin Haak (Yellow)
54' - Gabriel Torres (Yellow)
68' - Danny Barrera (Yellow)
69' - Caden Clark (Yellow)
HARTFORD ATHLETIC STARTING LINEUP:
35 (GK) Parfait Mandanda; 25 (D) Idan Cohen (Arthur Rogers 65'), 24 (D) Sam Strong, 4 (D) Kevin Politz, 3 (D) Matheus Silva, 16 (MF) Gabriel Torres; 10 (MF) Danny Barrera (Nicky Downs 78'), 80 (MF) Justin Haak, 23 (MF) Aiden Mesias (Mads JÃ¸rgensen); 11 (F) Alex Dixon (Markus Naglestad 78'), 99 (F) Ever GuzmÃ¡n
NEW YORK RED BULLS II STARTING LINEUP:
65 (GK) Wallis Lapsley; 47 (D) John Tolkein, 73 (D) Joe Fala, 85 (D) Joey Zalinsky, 72 (D) Edgardo Rito (Bo Cummins, 89'); 80 (MF) Chris Lema, 66 (MF) Barry Sharifi (Deri Corfe, 65'), 37 (MF) Caden Clark, 64 (MF) Jake LaCava; 67 (F) Omar Sowe, 96 (F) Dantouma Toure (Sheriff Dieye, 65')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 16, 2020
- Legion FC Attack Heats up in Miami - Birmingham Legion FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 2-1 at Home to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Atlanta United 2
- Indy Eleven Falls 0-2 In Last Chapter of 2020 Rivalry with Louisville City FC - Indy Eleven
- LouCity Knocks off Indy Eleven - Again - in Crucial Contest - Louisville City FC
- Philadelphia Union II Score Shutout Win over Loudoun United FC II - Philadelphia Union II
- Two First Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory - Hartford Athletic
- Republic FC Kickstart Grant Voting Now Open - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC to Host Tacoma on Sunday - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Match at Sacramento Republic FC Rescheduled for September 20 - Tacoma Defiance
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 13 - USL
- Indomitable Partner El Jimador to Donate to Local Food Banks with Fans Help - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Jamaican Defender Damion Lowe - Phoenix Rising FC
- Around the League Ã¢ÂÂ Championship Playoff Race and 2021 Expansion Club - Sacramento Republic FC
- LouCity's Hoppenot Earns USL Team of the Week Recognition - Louisville City FC
- Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Greens Sign Veteran Defender Ramon Martin Del Campo - OKC Energy FC
- Hartford Athletic to Host Drive-In Watch Party - Hartford Athletic
- LA Galaxy II Rally to Top Las Vegas Lights FC - LA Galaxy II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.