Arencibia's Single Lifts 51s Over Beavers In Ten Innings
PORTLAND, Ore. - J.P. Arencibia went 3-for-5 with a go-ahead RBI single in the 10th inning as the Las Vegas 51s took the third game of a four-game series from the Portland Beavers 3-2 before 6,073 at PGE Park on Sunday afternoon.
Arencibia's single drove in Aaron Mathews and made a winner out of Rommie Lewis (2-3), who pitched two scoreless innings. Manny Mayorson also chipped in with an RBI double for the 51s (71-72), who, after inhabiting fourth place for most of the season, could find themselves heading into the final game of the season in a tie for third place in the Pacific South Division if Fresno loses at Reno.
Craig Stansberry went 2-for-3 with an RBI double and two walks and Russ Adams hit his first home run in a Portland uniform but it wasn't enough for the Beavers (59-84), who are 1-6 against Las Vegas at PGE Park this season.
Eulogio De La Cruz (2-6) walked four batters and gave up the go-ahead run in two innings of work.
Jason Hagerty and Stansberry hit back-to-back doubles in the third to give the Beavers a 1-0 lead.
The 51s responded with two runs in the next half inning as Jason Lane led off with a double and Kyle Phillips singled, putting runners on the corners. Mayorson doubled to center to score Lane and Mathews plated Phillips two batters later with an RBI groundout.
Adams, a former Las Vegas 51, homered off 51s starter Marty McLeary, a former Beaver, with one out in the fifth to knot the game at two.
In his second inning of work, De La Cruz walked Mathews to start the 10th and a wild pitch moved him to second. De La Cruz then struck out Howie Clark and Brian Dopirak before Arencibia flared an RBI single into shallow right-center to give the 51s a 3-2 lead.
Beavers starter Josh Geer went eight strong innings, holding Las Vegas to two runs on eight hits without walking a batter.
McLeary also gave up two runs, on four hits and a walk over seven frames.
Jeremy Accardo slammed the door in the 10th with his 13th save.
The two teams wrap up the 2009 season with a 2:05 p.m. (Pacific) special Labor Day start time Monday at PGE Park.
NOTES: The start of the game was delayed 37 minutes due to rain ... Adams began the season with the 51s, where he hit .319 with seven doubles, a home run and nine RBIs in 24 games ... Hagerty's double was his first career Triple-A hit ... the Beavers fell to 6-7 in extra innings this season.
Beavers Game File
SUNDAY'S GAME: Las Vegas 3, Beavers 2 (10 innings)
WINNING PITCHER: Lewis (2-3)
LOSING PITCHER: De La Cruz (2-6)
SAVE: Accardo (13)
HOME RUNS: Adams (2)
MONDAY'S GAME: Las Vegas (Randy Boone: 0-1, 20.25) at Portland (Cesar Ramos: 4-6, 4.33), 2:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on KKAD AM-1550 and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter: www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 6, 2009
- Sounds romp past Zephyrs, 9-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Katin, Sounds Pound Zephyrs, 9-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Win Sixth Straight, 8-6 Over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Round Rock wins in 15 innings - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Slams RedHawks - Memphis Redbirds
- Season Finale To Decide Division Champion - Tacoma Rainiers
- Arencibia's Single Lifts 51s Over Beavers In Ten Innings - Portland Beavers
- Cubs Stop Skid, Beat Isotopes 3-1 - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes for September 6 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Birds sweep double dip, win division - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss