Antone Earns First Win in 22 Months
ST. LUCIE, FL - The Tortugas belted 15 hits to give RHP Tejay Antone his first win since August 19, 2016, beating the St. Lucie Mets, 6-1, Wednesday night at First Data Field. Daytona sent 10 men to the plate in the top of the fifth, scoring four runs on seven singles to break the game open. The win puts the Tortugas back in sole possession of first place.
Daytona kicked off the game's scoring with a pair of runs in the top of the third. Hector Vargas reached on an error, stole second, moved to third on a passed ball, and scored on a Taylor Trammell single to make it 1-0. Trammell then moved first to third on a Michael Beltre single to right, and scored on a TJ Friedl basehit.
The Tortugas opened the fifth inning with five straight singles of RHP Josh Prevost. Trammell and Beltre were on base when Friedl hit a bunt single down the third base line. Both runners would score on a Michael Paez throwing error, his second of the game, moving Friedl all the way to third. Tyler Stephenson then followed with a run-scoring single to make it 5-0. Bruce Yari added the sixth single of the frame, before a Jose Siri basehit to left made it 6-0.
The Mets finally cracked the run column in the sixth against Antone. With runners on first and second, and two outs, MLB Rehabber Wilmer Flores hit an RBI single to left to score Ian Strom, providing the final score.
Antone (1-1) earned his first win since returning from Tommy John surgery. He went a season-high seven innings, allowing three hits, one run, one walk, and struck out five. Prevost (5-2) took the loss, his first since his second outing. He allowed 12 hits and six runs (four earned) in 4 2/3 innings.
LHP Wennington Romero (6-2, 3.22 ERA) will get the ball for the Tortugas in the final game before the All-Star Break. He will look to become the first pitcher in the Florida State League with seven victories. LHP David Peterson, a top Mets prospect, will make his High-A Debut for St. Lucie.
First pitch Thursday is scheduled for 6:30 PM, with coverage beginning at 6:15 PM with The Metcare Pregame Show on AM 1230, AM 1490, and FM 106.9 WSBB.
NOTES: Brantley Bell had the first four-hit game in his four year Minor League career. He is the third different Tortuga with a four-hit game this season (Nay & Isabel 2x). Bell extended his hitting streak to 11 straight games. He is one shy of his career-high 12 game hitting streak, which he accomplished with Billings (R ) in 2015... Taylor Trammell scored two more runs Wednesday. He has scored seven runs over the past three games, reaching base eight times... Mitch Nay was hit by a pitch for the first time since 4/28... Hector Vargas was the only Tortuga without a hit for the second straight game... The Tortugas have started an inning with five straight singles in back-to-back games... Daytona is 29-1 when leading after six and 21-0 when leading after eight.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Dunedin Drops Finale Before All-Star Break 6-4 - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Wagner Clubs 13th Homer in 7-4 Loss - Tampa Tarpons
- Moniak, Lartigue Lead Threshers in Sweep - Clearwater Threshers
- Florida Splits Series with 8-2 Victory - Florida Fire Frogs
- Grzelakowski Homers In Extra Innings Loss - Fort Myers Miracle
- Mets Clobber Tortugas 13-3 - St. Lucie Mets
- Homers Push Stone Crabs Past Dunedin 6-4 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: June 14, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Clearwater - Tampa Tarpons
- 2018 FSL Home Run Derby Participants Announced - Tampa Tarpons
- Flying Tigers Pitcher Alfred Gutierrez Added to Florida State League All-Star Team - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Antone Earns First Win in 22 Months - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.