Anderson-Dolan Stays Hot But Late Goals Sink Chiefs in Game 2
SPOKANE, Wash. -- The Spokane Chiefs fell victim to a quartet of third period goals Saturday night as the Portland Winterhawks pulled off a come-from-behind win to even their opening round playoff series at 1-1.
Los Angeles Kings prospect Jaret Anderson-Dolan picked up his 20th point (13G-7A) over his last 12 games on the Chiefs' first score of the game 6:19 into the first on a shot that deflected off of the back of Portland goaltender Joel Hofer.
Overage forward Luc Smith made it 2-0 Chiefs, with assists from Jack Finley and Cordell Larson, at 13:19 of the second, but Portland's Josh Paterson answered for the Winterhawks at 15:25 to cut the lead back to 2-1.
Portland scored their first of four third period goals at 8:11 when Lane Gilliss tied it up. They took a 3-2 lead at 9:51, from Paterson, while Mason Mannek tallied at 12:37 to extended their lead to 4-2. The Chiefs closed the gap to one with an Adam Beckman goal at 17:26, but allowed an empty-netter just 19 seconds later for the 5-3 final.
Chiefs goaltender Bailey Brkin finished the night 30-for-34 in the net and the Winterhawks' Hofer went 23-for-26. Neither side had a power play opportunity in the game as it was a penalty-free affair.
The Chiefs will travel to Portland for Games 3 and 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday before returning to Spokane Arena for Game 5 on Saturday, March 30 at 7:05 p.m.
The Chiefs head down to Portland for games three and four of the best-of-seven series with game five scheduled for Saturday, March 30 back at Spokane Arena. The two road games can be heard live on 103.5 FM The Game with the pre-game show starting at 6:30 p.m. for a 7 p.m. puck drop.
Tickets for March 30 will be available online on Sunday, via TicketsWest outlets and from the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena, in-person or over the phone at 509-535-PUCK beginning Monday morning at 9 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Tigers Fall in Third Period of Game 2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Gerlach Strikes Twice as Blades Go up 2-0 in the Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Round 1 Game 2 vs Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hard Work Paid off for Ron Popplestone - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Big Second Lifts 'Tips to 2-0 Series Advantage - Everett Silvertips
- Roddy Ross Rocks Giants as T-Birds Tie Series 1-1 - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Imports Lead Raiders To Game 2 Win - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hawks Win Big to Even the Series at 1-1 - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Edged by Blazers in Overtime in Game 2 - Victoria Royals
- Rebels Excel on Power Play But Come Home Down Two Games to Raiders - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Lose Hard-Fought Playoff Match in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Thunderbirds Top the Giants 4-1 in Game 2, Series Tied 1-1 - Vancouver Giants
- Anderson-Dolan Stays Hot But Late Goals Sink Chiefs in Game 2 - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.