Anderson-Dolan Stays Hot But Late Goals Sink Chiefs in Game 2
SPOKANE, Wash. -- The Spokane Chiefs fell victim to a quartet of third period goals Saturday night as the Portland Winterhawks pulled off a come-from-behind win to even their opening round playoff series at 1-1.
Los Angeles Kings prospect Jaret Anderson-Dolan picked up his 20th point (13G-7A) over his last 12 games on the Chiefs' first score of the game 6:19 into the first on a shot that deflected off of the back of Portland goaltender Joel Hofer.
Overage forward Luc Smith made it 2-0 Chiefs, with assists from Jack Finley and Cordell Larson, at 13:19 of the second, but Portland's Josh Paterson answered for the Winterhawks at 15:25 to cut the lead back to 2-1.
Portland scored their first of four third period goals at 8:11 when Lane Gilliss tied it up. They took a 3-2 lead at 9:51, from Paterson, while Mason Mannek tallied at 12:37 to extended their lead to 4-2. The Chiefs closed the gap to one with an Adam Beckman goal at 17:26, but allowed an empty-netter just 19 seconds later for the 5-3 final.
Chiefs goaltender Bailey Brkin finished the night 30-for-34 in the net and the Winterhawks' Hofer went 23-for-26. Neither side had a power play opportunity in the game as it was a penalty-free affair.
The Chiefs will travel to Portland for Games 3 and 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday before returning to Spokane Arena for Game 5 on Saturday, March 30 at 7:05 p.m.
The Chiefs head down to Portland for games three and four of the best-of-seven series with game five scheduled for Saturday, March 30 back at Spokane Arena. The two road games can be heard live on 103.5 FM The Game with the pre-game show starting at 6:30 p.m. for a 7 p.m. puck drop.
Tickets for March 30 will be available online on Sunday, via TicketsWest outlets and from the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena, in-person or over the phone at 509-535-PUCK beginning Monday morning at 9 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Tigers Fall in Third Period of Game 2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Gerlach Strikes Twice as Blades Go up 2-0 in the Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Round 1 Game 2 vs Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hard Work Paid off for Ron Popplestone - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Big Second Lifts 'Tips to 2-0 Series Advantage - Everett Silvertips
- Roddy Ross Rocks Giants as T-Birds Tie Series 1-1 - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Imports Lead Raiders To Game 2 Win - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hawks Win Big to Even the Series at 1-1 - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Edged by Blazers in Overtime in Game 2 - Victoria Royals
- Rebels Excel on Power Play But Come Home Down Two Games to Raiders - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Lose Hard-Fought Playoff Match in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Thunderbirds Top the Giants 4-1 in Game 2, Series Tied 1-1 - Vancouver Giants
- Anderson-Dolan Stays Hot But Late Goals Sink Chiefs in Game 2 - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Spokane Toppled by Giants in Overtime
- Chiefs Top Giants in Game 3 Overtime Thriller
- Third Period Frenzy Buries Chiefs in Game 2 at Vancouver
- Chiefs Drop Western Conference Championship Opener, 4-1
- Beckman & Toporowski Listed in 2019 NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings