Americans Lose Hard-Fought Playoff Match in Everett
The Americans and Silvertips played Game 2 of their first round WHL playoff series tonight at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett. After making a hard push Tri-City fell 4-3 extending Everett's series lead to two.
2019 NHL Draft prospect Krystof Hrabik opened scoring mid-first period to give Tri-City the night's first lead. Hrabik's goal came on the power play, assisted by Parker AuCoin and Aaron Hyman. Jake Christiansen scored seven minutes later for Everett, also on the power play, finishing the first period tied at one. The Americans were out shot 16-9.
The game held tied at one until mid-second period when Everett netted two goals within 19 seconds.
An altercation at 18:29 led to a series of penalties to each side. After all was sorted out the Silvertips were awarded a four minute power play, killed off by the Americans.
Penalties at 18:39
Fasko-Rudas - 10 minute misconduct
Christiansen - 10 MM
Vitelli - 10 MM
Khaira - roughing
Huo - roughing
Brown - 10 MM
Bjorklund - 10 MM
Bouchard - 10 MM
Schmiemann - roughing, cross checking#EVTvsTC | #WHLPlayoffs
- X Tri-City Americans (@TCAmericans) March 24, 2019
Everett added one more goal to take a 4-1 lead into the final frame.
Americans captain Nolan Yaremko netted a shorthanded goal, unassisted, early in the third period cutting Everett's lead in half. With 1:02 remaining Aaron Hyman scored to make it a one-goal game, but the Americans were unable to come up with another. Hyman's goal came on the power play, assisted by Kyle Olson and Krystof Hrabik.
Beck Warm stopped 35 of 39 shots faced.
Score: 4-3 EVT
Shots: 39-31 EVT
The series will now shift back to Kennewick for the next two games. Games 3 and 4 will be played at the Toyota Center on Wednesday, March 27 and Thursday, March 28. Tickets are available at the Toyota Center Box Office and online from Ticketmaster here.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Tigers Fall in Third Period of Game 2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Gerlach Strikes Twice as Blades Go up 2-0 in the Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Round 1 Game 2 vs Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hard Work Paid off for Ron Popplestone - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Big Second Lifts 'Tips to 2-0 Series Advantage - Everett Silvertips
- Roddy Ross Rocks Giants as T-Birds Tie Series 1-1 - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Imports Lead Raiders To Game 2 Win - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hawks Win Big to Even the Series at 1-1 - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Edged by Blazers in Overtime in Game 2 - Victoria Royals
- Rebels Excel on Power Play But Come Home Down Two Games to Raiders - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Lose Hard-Fought Playoff Match in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Thunderbirds Top the Giants 4-1 in Game 2, Series Tied 1-1 - Vancouver Giants
- Anderson-Dolan Stays Hot But Late Goals Sink Chiefs in Game 2 - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City Americans Stories
- Three Americans Players Listed on NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
- Ownership Group Pens Thank-You Letter to Americans Fans
- Brian Pellerin to Coach at 2019 WHL U.S. Prospects Camp
- Four Ams Alumni Set for 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Olson Signs ATO with San Diego