Amerks Hit the Books for 14th Straight Season
(Rochester, NY) --- The Rochester Americans and the Monroe County Library System are once again partnering to provide the "Reading Power Play", which teams Amerks players with local public librarians in support of reading. The 2018-19 season marks the 14th year of the program and is presented exclusively by Wendy's.
The Amerks will kick-off the 14th season of the program with a 6:30 p.m. visit from Amerks defenseman Nathan Paetsch on Monday, Nov. 5 at the Fairport Public Library with the first of 12 reading appearances.
The Reading Power Play involves players stopping by local libraries, reading to kids and giving a hockey demonstration. Each appearance also features a raffle and an autograph session by the visiting player and The Moose.
"Linking books and the Amerks make reading all the more fun for kids," said Fairport Children's Librarian and Monroe County Library System representative Amy Joslyn. "Plus, there is the added excitement of seeing their favorite player reading a book at their local library during the season. The Amerks are role models for kids all the way around."
The Reading Power Play allows fans to meet players and The Moose, while also learning about hockey and the importance of reading. The program also rewards kids for reading and selects two grand-prize winners that will win suite tickets and the chance to drop the ceremonial first puck prior to Rochester's home game on Sunday, Feb. 17 against the Binghamton Devils.
At each event, the Amerks will distribute ticket vouchers to each youth in attendance good for one complimentary ticket for the Feb. 17 home game. Vouchers can be redeemed at The Blue Cross Arena Box Office or the Amerks front office. Additional discounted tickets for the game can also be purchased.
The second half of Reading Power Play enters kids into a grand-prize drawing. Using the hat trick as an educational incentive, youth participants fill out a form for every three books they read, which then qualifies them for an entry into the grand prize drawing.
The Reading Power Play runs from Monday, Nov. 5 to Thursday, Jan. 31. A complete reading program schedule is available online at www.amerks.com/page/reading program. For more information on the reading program or to book player or Moose appearances, please contact the Amerks Public Relations department at (585) 454-5335.
2018-19 Reading Power Play Appearance Dates*
Monday, Nov. 5 6:30 p.m. at Fairport
Tuesday, Nov. 20 6:30 p.m. at Brighton
Tuesday, Dec. 4 6:30 p.m. at Irondequoit
Thursday, Dec. 6 6:30 p.m. at Penfield
Thursday, Dec. 13 6:30 p.m. at Gates
Thursday, Jan. 10 6:30 p.m. at Chili
Monday, Jan. 14 6:30 p.m. at Mendon
Tuesday, Jan. 15 6:30 p.m. at Webster
Wednesday, Jan. 16 6:30 p.m. at Downtown Public Library
Thursday, Jan. 24 6:00 p.m. at Charlotte
Tuesday, Jan. 29 6:30 p.m. at Pittsford
Thursday, Jan. 31 6:30 p.m. at Greece
*schedule subject to change
Individual game tickets for the 2018-19 season start at just $14. Amerks 2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships, which start as low as just $12 per game, are on-sale now. Full-season ticket member benefits include, but are not limited to, Riverside Club VIP Room access with Amerks Alumni, family meet and greet and annual Skate with the Players event, an exclusive preseason Ice Breaker Party and Chalk Talk with the Amerks coaching staff, your very own Season Ticket Member ID and Discount Card and much more. For more information, visit www.amerks.com/seasontickets or call 1-855-GO-AMERKS.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2018
- Week 4 Report: Hogs Stumble After Point Streak Hits 5 - Rockford IceHogs
- Stick It to Cancer this Saturday with the Stockton Heat & Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Release Holiday Plan - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Present Salute to Candy Corn - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Night on Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Weekly - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jordan Kyrou Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Nolan Wells Named Official Stylist of Springfield Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- IceHogs Recall Welychka from Indy, Assign Lankinen to Fuel - Rockford IceHogs
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: October 29 - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Sign Goaltender Connor Lacouvee to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Reign Sign Evan Buitenhuis to PTO - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Hit the Books for 14th Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Eagles Add Experienced Defenseman Falk, Ottenbreit Reassigned - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Announce New HocKEY Assist Program - Cleveland Monsters
- Conor Garland Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Tucson Roadrunners
- Tucson's Conor Garland Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Wolf Pack Weekly, October 29-November 4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Red Wings Reassign Sadowy, Griffins Assign Yates - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blues Announce Multiple Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Utica Comets to be Recognized as First Purple Heart Hockey Club - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Sabres Acquire Draft Pick from Stars
- Amerks Move Atop AHL Standings with 3-2 Overtime Win over Crunch
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks Holiday Packs
- Bailey, Simpson Each Score Twice in 5-2 Win over Monsters
- Former Bills Running Back Freddy Jackson to Appear at December 7 Amerks Home Game