Ambassadors Snap Three-Game Skid, Beat Berkshire 4-2
The Allentown Ambassadors scored one run in the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh innings to come from behind and beat the Berkshire Black Bears 4-2 Friday night at Bicentennial Park.
Berkshire got out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first, when Mark Burnett, who had doubled, scored on a Greg Schmidt fielding error. Schmidt had a hot shot hit at him at third, and could not recover in time to throw out Shane Hopper at first.
The lead stretched to 2-0 in the fourth, when Hopper began the inning with a double off Ambassador starter Miguel Perez, then moved to third on a sacrifice bun after Pete Paciorek walked, and scored on a PJ Johnston sacrifice fly.
The Ambassadors got on the scoreboard in the fourth, with Vic Davilla reaching on an error on first baseman Paciorek, then scoring on a Brian Macchi single. Allentown added another run in the fifth on an Ender Gonzalez RBI single, with Cedrick Harris scoring, and took the lead in the sixth. Black Bear starter Dan Henderson started the sixth inning by getting Macchi to line out, then walked Greg Schmidt and gave up a double to Kevin Moore. Schmidt appeared to tweak an already sore hamstring on the play, and Tito Cruz came into the game to run for him. Henderson left and Matt Smith got Ben Rosenthal to strike out, but then walked Harris and Jorge Diaz to force in the go-ahead run.
Berkshire would load the bases in the top of the seventh, but Carlos Gomez came in and struck out Manny Crespo to end the inning. The bullpen shut down the Black Bears the rest of the way, with Justin Keeling pitching one and a third scoreless innings and John Boker pitching a scoreless ninth to get his first save.
Miguel Perez got the victory, his fourth in a row. He is now 4-3. Dan Henderson took the loss, he is 2-7. The Ambassadors improve to 5-10 with the win and snap a three game losing streak, while Berkshire falls to 6-8. The two teams go at it again tomorrow night, with Mike Riley taking the mound for Allentown.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from July 25, 2003
- Ramirez Home Run in 13th Leads Bears to 5-3 Win - Newark Bears
- Ambassadors Snap Three-Game Skid, Beat Berkshire 4-2 - Allentown Ambassadors
- Rox Rally by Spirit in Ninth - North Shore Spirit
- Thomas Hits 3 HR's in 13-3 Win Over 'Fish - Atlantic City Surf
- Perrucci Dubbed 'Mover and Shaker' by Atlantic City Weekly - Atlantic City Surf
- Baseball Clinic Rescheduled - Allentown Ambassadors
- Bears Sign Ex-Major Leaguer Curtis Goodwin - Newark Bears
- Jacks Ink Left-handed Rookie; Trade Thomas - Bangor Lumberjacks
- Woodards Becomes Second Ex-Sea Dog With Jacks - Bangor Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allentown Ambassadors Stories
- No Longer Living Here in Allentown
- Ambassadors Reorganize Front Office, Hire New Team President
- Ambassadors Add Merchandise Section to Website
- Ambassadors Attend Tamaqua High School Career Day
- Ambassadors Trade Greg Schmidt to Rox for Mike Davis, Fontella Jones