Amado Guevara named MLS Player of the Week
SECAUCUS, NJ (Monday, May 2, 2005) MetroStars midfielder Amado Guevara was selected as the Honda MLS Player of the Week by the Professional Soccer Reporters Association (PSRA) for Week 5.
Guevara led the MetroStars to their first win in 2005 last weekend as he tallied a hat-trick against the Rapids. The scoring marked Guevaras first goals of the season, and the first time in his MLS career that he registered a multi-goal game. The last time a MetroStars player had a hat-trick was on June 15, 2002 when Mamadou Diallo notched four goals.
The MetroStars win snapped the Colorado Rapids 12-game home unbeaten streak. Guevaras 3-goal offensive explosion marked the first time since July 4, 2003 that the Rapids have allowed more than two goals at home (a span of 25 games).
Guevara netted his first goal of the season in the 23rd minute with a skillfully placed penalty kick. Rapids goalkeeper Joe Cannon guessed the right direction, but he was unable to save Guevaras perfectly placed shot to the lower left corner.
Guevaras second tally of the night came just three minutes later in the 26th minute. The Honduran international pushed the ball into the net after the cross from Eddie Gaven squeezed between Sergio Galvan Rey and Cannon at the goalmouth, leaving the Colorado goalkeeper out of position.
Finally Guevara completed the hat-trick in the 73rd minute when he beat Cannon to the near post from 22-yards out. The 2004 Major League Soccer MVP one-timed a pass from Abbe Ibrahim that found the back of the net through the upper left corner of the goal.
The game marked a return to form of sorts for Guevara, who among other things was honored with many awards for his play in 2004 including the 2004 MLS MVP, the 2004 MetroStars MVP, the 2004 MLS All-Star Game MVP, a member of the 2004 MLS Best XI, the 2004 MLS Scoring Champion (tied with New Englands Pat Noonan) and Fox Sports Espanols MLS Player of the Year. Guevara scored a team high (tied with John Wolyniec) 10 goals and registered a team high 10 assists.
The Honda Major League Soccer Player of the Week is selected every week throughout the MLS regular season by a panel of journalists from the Professional Soccer Reporters Association (PSRA). This seasons winners are as follows:
2005 HONDA MLS PLAYER OF THE WEEK WINNER
Week 1: Edson Buddle (Columbus Crew)
Week 2: Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
Week 3: Jon Busch (Columbus Crew)
Week 4: Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution)
Week 5: Amado Guevara (MetroStars)
The MetroStars return to action this Saturday, May 7, 2005 when they take on the San Jose Earthquakes at Giants Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 4:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 2, 2005
- Earthquakes weekly update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake weekly update - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Weekly Update - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire weekly update - Chicago Fire
- MetroStars Weekly Report - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United To Sponsor Inaugural Tournament - D.C. United
- United Announces Date Change for Away Game vs. Fire - D.C. United
- L.A. Galaxy Weekly Update - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Amado Guevara named MLS Player of the Week - New York Red Bulls
- Crew heads to Washington, D.C. to take on D.C. United Saturday - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Sign Danish Forward Mathias Jorgensen
- Red Bull Arena Implements Venue Enhancements to Elevate Fan Experience for 2019 Season
- New York Red Bulls Injury Update: Ryan Meara
- Aaron Long Captains USMNT against Panama
- New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product Omir Fernandez