All Roads Lead to Sydney as Isles and Eagles Meet in Friday Night Matchup
As the 2020-2021 season slowly begins it's descent towards the playoffs, the Charlottetown Islanders and Cape Breton Eagles will meet in another Maritime Division matchup that carries a little more weight for one team than the other.
The Islanders (33-5-0-0) remain at the top of the QMJHL league standings over the Val d'Or Foreurs; however, that lead is held only by percentage points. A loss would drop the Islanders into second place behind the Foreurs as Val d'Or has completed their season. They're coming off a decisive 8-1 victory over the Halifax Mooseheads, a game overshadowed by the antics on the ice rather than the score.
After a third period line brawl that saw eight fighting majors dished out, seven players received suspensions including three Islanders; Oscar Plandowski, Bailey Peach, and Patrick Guay will all be unavailable for tonight's game for their involvement in the action. Fortunately, Charlottetown will welcome the return of Sean Stewart to the lineup after a two-game suspension of his own, along with Sam Oliver who returns from injury. Rather than call up an affiliate player, the Isles will simply dress 11 forwards and 6 defenders for tonight's game.
Meanwhile, Cape Breton hits the ice for just the third time in April. The Eagles (12-24-1-0) will look to get back in the win column, losers of five straight and nine of their last ten games. It's been tough sledding for a team that has fallen to the bottom of the Maritime Division standings.
They'll hope that a return to home ice will bring good fortune their way. The Eagles have not played a home game since March 24th; however, the Eagles have a worse record at home (5-12-1-0) than they do on the road (7-12-0-0)
All of the fun in tonight's game can be heard live on YouTube on Fair Isle Ford Isles Radio! It can also be seen live on Eastlink's Friday Night Hockey on Channels 10 and 610. If you don't have Eastlink, you can also head to any one of our five viewing partners across Charlottetown - Boston Pizza, the PEI Brewing Company, Outrider's Cookhouse, Dooly's on Kent Street, or the Factory Downtown - to watch the game and have a night out!
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2021
- Eagles Edged by Islanders as Eagle Season Ends at C200 - Cape Breton Eagles
- Isles Put Damper on Final Night of Eagles' Season with 3-2 Victory - Charlottetown Islanders
- Titan Edge Sea Dogs with Late Goal - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Val-d'Or Will Not Host the First Round - QMJHL
- NB Playoff Series Announced - Moncton Wildcats
- Schedule Update for the Maritimes Division - Saint John Sea Dogs
- QMJHL Announces Updated New Brunswick Playoff Format - Moncton Wildcats
- Schedule Update for the Maritimes Division - Charlottetown Islanders
- QMJHL Announces Conclusion of Season for Eagles, Mooseheads - Cape Breton Eagles
- Schedule Update for the Maritimes Division - QMJHL
- All Roads Lead to Sydney as Isles and Eagles Meet in Friday Night Matchup - Charlottetown Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlottetown Islanders Stories
- Absolutely Wild Game in Shawinigan Gives Isles 2-0 Series Lead
- Isles Look to Push Titan to the Brink with Victory Today
- Ellis Stands Tall, Budgell Scores Game Winner as Isles Take Game 1
- Isles and Titan Kick off President's Cup Playoff Run Today
- Ocean 100, Eastlink to Bring Fans Playoff Action