AHL Approves Sale of Peoria Franchise
American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews announced today that the league's Board of Governors has approved the following:
. The relocation of the franchise owned by the National Hockey League's Minnesota Wild from Houston, Texas, to Des Moines, Iowa, beginning with the 2013-14 season.
. The transfer of ownership of the Peoria Rivermen franchise from the St. Louis Blues to the Aquilini Investment Group, owners of the NHL's Vancouver Canucks. No determination has been made relative to the operation of the franchise for the 2013-14 season.
In operation since 1936, the American Hockey League continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. Nearly 90 percent of all players competing in the NHL are AHL graduates, and through the years the American Hockey League has been home to more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. The 2012-13 regular season ends on Sunday, and then 16 clubs will continue to vie for the league's coveted championship trophy when the 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs get underway next week.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2013
- Islanders Recall Ullstrom from Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ads Finish Home Schedule Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Checkers Announce Possible Home Playoff Dates - Charlotte Checkers
- Texas Stars Sign Center Daine Todd to ATO - Texas Stars
- Defenseman Cody Ceci Joins B-Sens - Binghamton Senators
- Portland Pirates 2013-14 Season Tickets on Sale Now - Portland Pirates
- Minnesota Wild Statement on American Hockey League Affiliate - Iowa Wild
- AHL Approves Sale of Peoria Franchise - Peoria Rivermen
- Minnesota Wild Statement on American Hockey League Affiliate - Houston Aeros
- American Hockey League Board of Governors Approves Franchise Transactions - AHL
- Ducks Reassign D Jordan Hendry to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Portland Pirates Reassign Scott Arnold to Gwinnett (ECHL) - Portland Pirates
- Florida Panthers Recall Alex Petrovic - San Antonio Rampage
- Providence's Niklas Svedberg Wins Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award - AHL
- Niklas Svedberg Named Winner of Baz Bastien Award as AHL's - Providence Bruins
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Michael Kantor - Connecticut Whale
- Griffins Playoff Tickets on Sale Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Sign Sedlak to ATO - Springfield Falcons
- Blackhawks Recall Hutton, Simpson Added - Rockford IceHogs
- Mike Zigomanis Named Winner of Yanick Dupré Memorial Award - Toronto Marlies
- Toronto's Mike Zigomanis Wins Yanick Dupre Memorial Award as AHL's Man of the Year - AHL
- IceHogs Announce Possible Playoff Dates - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Close out Regular Season with Back-To-Back Promos - Binghamton Senators
- Canadiens Reassign Nathan Beaulieu to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Weekly - One Weekend Left - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.