Aces win slugfest
Harlingen, Texas - June 18, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces survived a five-run comeback by the Harlingen WhiteWings by scoring a run in the 11th as the Aces won 9-8. The Aces scored the winning run when Bryan Sabatella singled to lead off the inning. With Luis Guance batting, Sabatella stole second and moved to third on a wild pitch that walked Guance. Selwyn Langaigne drove home Sabatella with a single to right off the glove of second baseman Terry Roblez giving the Aces a 9-8 lead. Charlie Foster came in and got his second save of the year by pitching a scoreless 11th to give the Aces the win. The WhiteWings were down by five when they started their come back in the sixth. Harlingen cut the lead to three in the sixth with a two-run homer by Roblez. They added two more runs in the eighth after a two-run home run by Argelis Nunez, his second of the game. The Wings tied the game up in the bottom of the ninth with a solo homer by David Cardona; sending the game into extra innings. The Aces put together a six-run fifth that gave them a five-run lead. Down 3-2, Eddie Fitzpatrick led off the fifth with a single up the middle and moving to second on a passed ball. After Sabatella sacrificed Fitzpatrick over to third, Guance walked putting runners at first and third. Then, Langaigne hit an RBI double to score Fitzpatrick and tie the game 3-3. Patrick O'Sullivan came up with runners on second and third and hit his league-leading 13th home run of the year to give the Aces a 6-3 lead. The Aces added two more unearned runs when Fitzpatrick, batting for the second time in the inning, hit a two-run single. The hit scored Madison Edwards, who reached on an error, and Blake Butler, who walked earlier. The Aces and WhiteWings will finish their series Thursday as Ramon Portillo will go for the Aces against Harlingen's Todd Lutz. Game time is 7:05 PM
Next home game: Monday June 23rd vs. San Angelo. Ladies Night. Women get two-for-one admission.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 18, 2008
- Colts swept by Broncos - San Angelo Colts
- Aces win slugfest - Alexandria Aces
- Coyotes Split the Double-Header - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Whitewings lose in extras - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Broncos rough up Colts - Laredo Broncos
- Colts seeking help - San Angelo Colts
- Suspended game between Laredo and Amarillo to be finished before June 20th game - Laredo Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th