Aces Win Martinez Battle
Alexandria, La. - June 27, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces kept pace with the San Angelo Colts for another night as the Aces beat the Laredo Broncos 4-1 at Bringhurst Field Friday night. The Colts defeated the Amarillo Dillas 12-2 to remain 0.5 games ahead of the Aces. The Dillas are just one game ahead of the Aces in first place. The Aces won in a battle of the Martinezes. Aces starter Alejandro Martinez outdueled Laredo starter Gregorio Martinez. The Aces starter went six innings giving up just one run while striking out four. The one run Alejandro Martinez gave up came to the first batter of the game as Steven Wright led the game off with a homer. The Aces tied the game 1-1 in the fourth with a Blake Butler RBI groundout. Tied 1-1 in the fifth, the Aces took the lead with a couple of clutch hits. Albert Gonzalez led the inning off with a single to right and was sacrificed to second on a bunt by Eddie Fitzpatrick. After an infield single by Bryan Sabatella, Luis Guance singled home Gonzalez to give the Aces the lead. Two batters later, Alexandria tacked on two more runs on a two-run double by Palmer Karr Jr. The Aces bullpen closed the door not allowing a run over three innings with Charlie Foster, Juan Carlos Ovalles and Wayne Hedden all pitching one inning and each recording at least one strikeout. The Aces will finish their series with the Broncos Saturday with Chad Linder for the Aces going against Santo Hernandez of the Broncos. Game time is 7:05 PM.
Next home game: Saturday, June 28th vs. Laredo. Mid State Orthopaedic Night w/ Championship Rings.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 27, 2008
- Coyotes win pitcher's duel - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Coyotes Edge WhiteWings in Front Of ZOOperstars - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Colts win again, will clinch playoff spot with win Saturday - San Angelo Colts
- Aces Win Martinez Battle - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos can't cash in on scoring chances - Laredo Broncos
- All-Star Break Festivities in San Angelo Announced - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th