Aces sweep Coyotes
Alexandria, La. - July 8, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces had the clutch bats working late in the game again as they finished off a sweep of the Edinburg Coyotes winning 3-2 Tuesday at Bringhurst Field. Tied 2-2 in the bottom of the eighth, Homy Ovalles delivered a game-winning single to left scoring Palmer Karr Jr. Edinburg nearly came back to tie the game in the top of the ninth. With one out, closer Wayne Hedden walked Eddie Wilson. Wilson then stole second and moved to third when Jose Umbria's throw went into center field. So with the tying run on third and one out, Hedden caught Angelo Fermin looking at a breaking ball for strike three. Eric Gonzalez then grounded out to short to end the game as Hedden earned his seventh save. The Coyotes got out in front early by scoring two runs in the first. With one out, Alex Entrekin and Robert Matlock hit back-to-back singles. Then Aces starter Chad Linder walked two straight batters in Daryl Jones and Mayobanex Santana forcing in a run. After Amado German struck out, Logan Wood hit a grounder to Luis Guance that the second baseman couldn't handle leading to a second run. The Aces came back with two of their own in the third. Andre Marshall led off the game with a double down the left-field line. Two batters later, Madison Edwards singled Marshall home to cut the Coyotes' lead in half. Then, with two outs, Guance hit a double identical to Marshall's just inside the bag a third that drove in Edwards to tie the game at two. Linder put another solid start together as he was also announced to the All-Star team on Tuesday. The lefty went six innings and gave up two runs, one earned, on six hits. He struck out five and did not walk a batter after the first. The Aces bullpen continued to shine as B.J. Litchfield got his first win of the year. The sidewinder pitched two perfect innings, striking out two. The Aces stay in Alexandria as the Harlingen WhiteWings come to Bringhurst Field for a three-game series. The Aces will throw Alejandro Martinez against the Wings' Alex Gett. Game time is 7:05.
Next home game: Wednesday, July 9th vs. Harlingen. Cenla Builders Night. Free Admission.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 9, 2008
- Cone's big night propels Colts to victory - San Angelo Colts
- Aces nearly shut out in loss - Alexandria Aces
- Four-Run Innings Get Balbuena First Managerial Win - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Coyotes Shutout First Place Dillas - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts outlast Broncos - San Angelo Colts
- Coyotes Land Two Outfielders - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Aces sweep Coyotes - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th