Aces Hold On For 8-7 Win
Alexandria, LA Wednesday July 25, 2007- The Alexandria Aces bounced right back to the winning column with an 8-7 defeat of the Amarillo Dillas on Big Kids Splash Day 3 at Bringhurst Field. The Aces take a two games to one lead in the series, with the deciding game tomorrow at 7:05.
Brian Bunyan worked a sloid 5.0 innings, allowing four runs on four hits, whlie walking four and striking out four as well. Bunyan (3-0) allowed all four of his runs in the second and third innings, when the Dillas stayed patient and took advantage of some timely hitting and scored two in the second and two more in the third. Adam Frey, making his first relief appearance of the season, worked two perfect innings, striking out two. Juan Carlos Ovalles worked the eighth inning, allowing three runs on five hits, while striking out two and walking none. Justin Dowdy closed out the ninth for his 15th save of the season, tying Julio Castro for Edinburg for the league lead.
Palmer Karr continued with his sizzling bat, going 2-for-3 with a run scored and a run batted in. Palmer is hitting .376 with 12 runs batted in in his last five games. Josh Tranum, Luis Guance, and Bryan Sabatella also had multiple hit games. Kevin MacIlvane added a 1-for-3 affair with two runs batted in and a run scored. The Aces manged to reach double digits with 11 hits for the first time in 7 games.
Amarillo starter Jorge Lugo did not make it to the third inning, going 2.0 innings, allowing five runs on seven hits, while walking three and striking out three. Lugo (5-3) threw 62 pitches, 37 for strikes in his shortest start of the season. Chris Waters worked 3.o innings, allowing one run (not earned) on two hits, with two walks and one strikeout. Kyle Allen worked one inning, two nights after starting the first game of the series, and allowed two runs (1 earned) on two hits, with two strikeouts. Newcomer Willy Vazquez worked the final 2.0 innings in scoreless fashion, walking one and striking out two.
Brett Donahoo and Jack Chapman added multiple hit games for the Dillas with both driving in two runs a piece. With the loss the Dillas drop to 39-33 overall and 13-9 in the second half, now 4.0 games behind the leaguue leading Aces, who are 44-27 overall and 17-5 in the second half.
Tomorrow's Probable Starters: ALX-- Adam Cox (10-2) AMA--Shawn Morrison (3-2)
b Next home game: Thursday July 26, 2007. Shirt Off Your Back Night.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 25, 2007
- Nichols Leads WhiteWings Past Broncos - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Edinburg Falls to San Angelo 1-0 - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts Shut out Coyotes 1-0 in Rain-Shortened Game - San Angelo Colts
- Aces Hold On For 8-7 Win - Alexandria Aces
- Don't Call It A Comeback - Amarillo Dillas
- Aces fall to Dillas - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th