Aces fall to Dillas
Alexandria, LA Tuesday July 24, 2007- The Amarillo Dillas tied up the series with a 6-4 win over the Alexandria Aces at Bringhurst Field in front of 1, 935 fans tonight.
Amarillo starter Taylor Allen worked 7.1 innings, allowing three runs on seven hits, while walking three and striking six. Allen (8-5) threw a season high 132 pitches, 81 for strikes and kept the Aces off balance through much of the night. Drew Jackson worked the final 1.2 innings, allowing one run on one hit, a two run blast off the bat of Palmer Karr in the eighth inning to cut the Dillas lead in half to 6-4. Jackson worked a scoreless ninth, allowing a two out walk to pinch hitter Wilson Burwell. With the tying run at the plate in the form of Tyrone Pendergrass, Jackson got Pendergrass to pop out to second base to end the game.
Aces starter Frank James took the loss, working 4.1 innings, allowing five runs on 10 hits, while walking three and striking out four. James (6-3) didn't have his normal stuff tonigh, but did battle and allowed the Aces an opportunity to hang in the game. Charlie Foster worked 1.2 innings in relief, allowing one run on one hit, while striking out two and walking two. Juan Carlos Ovalles, Walt Nolen, and Brad Turney worked the final three innings in scoreless fashion, none allowing a hit, and striking out five.
Josh Tranum continued to swing a big bat for the Aces going 2-for-3 with a double, a solo home run and a run scored and a run batted in. Palmer Karr also continued his hot hand at the plate going 2-for-4 with a two run home run and two runs scored with his two runs batted in. Bryan Sabatella, Richard Paz and Evan Cherry each added hits to combine of rthe 8 Aces hits on the night.
Justin Wenger lead the Dillas going 3-for-4 with a run scored, while Brett Donahoo went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a run batted in. With the win the Dillas improve to 39-32 overall and 13-8 in the second half, three games behind the Aces.
With the loss the Aces drop to 43-27 overall and 16-5 in the second half, still both league bests. the loss snaps the Aces five game winning streak. Tomorrow's Probable starters: ALX-- Cox AMA-- Lugo
Next home game: Wednesday July 25, 2007. Big Kids Splash Day 3.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 25, 2007
- Nichols Leads WhiteWings Past Broncos - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Edinburg Falls to San Angelo 1-0 - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts Shut out Coyotes 1-0 in Rain-Shortened Game - San Angelo Colts
- Aces Hold On For 8-7 Win - Alexandria Aces
- Don't Call It A Comeback - Amarillo Dillas
- Aces fall to Dillas - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th