Aces earn one-run victory
Laredo, Texas - July 17, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces used a five-run fifth to beat the Laredo Broncos 6-5 Thursday at Veterans Field. Tied 1-1, Albert Gonzalez led off the inning with a single to right and moved to second when Eddie Fitzpatrick was walked. After a Bryan Sabatella fly out to center moved Gonzalez to third, Luis Guance brought him home with a double to center. Selwyn Langaigne, Palmer Karr Jr., Rafael Ozuna and Andre Marshall hit four consecutive singles to cap off the five-run inning. Karr smashed a bunch of homers Tuesday at the All-Star Game as he participated in the home run derby and hit a homer in the All-Star Game. Karr carried this momentum over to Thursday's game as he hit his 14th homer of the year to tie the game at 1-1 in the fourth. Aces starter Alejandro Martinez pitched six solid innings to earn his fourth win of the year. The righty struck out three and walked three in the victory. The Broncos nearly staged a comeback late in the game but came up just short. Laredo cut the lead to two when Ivan Reyes hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning. In the ninth, Wayne Hedden had to get out of a jam to earn his league-leading tenth save. Hedden allowed a leadoff single to Ben Tinius and a walk to Reyes putting runners on first and second. Eric Padilla sacrificed pinch runner Matt Lawman to third and Reyes to second. Anthony Bennett then brought home Lawman with a groundout to second, which moved Reyes to third with two outs. With the tying run at third, Hedden got Stephen Wright swinging to end the game. The Aces and Broncos will continue their four-game series Friday as left-hander Ramon Portillo takes the mound for the Aces. Game time is 7:30 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 17, 2008
- Henschel wins 7th straight start, Colts win 6th in a row - San Angelo Colts
- Aces earn one-run victory - Alexandria Aces
- Coyotes Win off of Matlock's Inside-the-Park - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Broncos Drop 1st Game After All Star Break - Laredo Broncos
- Inside the Park Home Run Beats WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Colts make flurry of roster moves - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th