Aces drop one-run decision to Coyotes
Edinburg, Texas - August 6, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces could not take advantage to many scoring opportunities Wednesday as they lost 3-2 to the Edinburg Coyotes at Edinburg Baseball Stadium. The Aces had runners in scoring position with no outs in each of the innings. The did not score in any of them. In the top of the first, Bryan Sabatella drew a leadoff walk and stole second and third. Luis Guance struck out, Selwyn Langaigne popped to short and Brian Nichols grounded out to first to end the inning. In the top of the second, Rafael Ozuna doubled down the left-field line to lead off the inning. Andre Marshall flied out to center, Larry Bethea struck out and Jose Umbria grounded out to second to end the inning. In the third, Homy Ovalles and Sabatella each walked to start the inning. After Guance struck out, Langaigne moved runners to second and third with a groundout to first. Nichols ended the inning with a fly out to left. Trailing 1-0, the Aces finally got on the board in the sixth. Nichols hit his 12th homer of the year, a solo shot to tie the game. The Aces then took the lead when Ozuna, who reached on a single to center and moved to third on a double by Marshall, scored on a wild pitch. The Aces held the lead until the bottom of the eighth. B.J. Litchfield came into the game and got Gary Roche to ground out. Litchfield hit Robert Matlock with a pitch and was replaced by Daryl Jones. He advanced to third on a double by Argelis Nunez to put runners on second and third with just one out. The Coyotes took advantage with Juan Carlos Ovalles relieving Litchfield. Eric Gonzalez lined a 1-2 pitch up the middle scoring both Jones and Nunez to give the Coyotes a 3-2 lead. Luke Prihoda pitched a perfect ninth for his seventh save. Aces starter Wayne Hedden was great as he made his first start since June 15. Hedden, in five innings, struck out six and allowed an unearned run in the no decision. The Aces and Coyotes will finish their three-game series Thursday as Alexis Sosa faces the Coyotes' Miguel Martinez. Game time is 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 6, 2008
- Late Rally Lifts Coyotes - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Winning streak ends as WhiteWings top Colts - San Angelo Colts
- Aces drop one-run decision to Coyotes - Alexandria Aces
- Broncos Lose in Stunning Fashion To Amarillo - Laredo Broncos
- Fox's First Multi-Home Run Game Leads Wings to Win - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Aces Announce Game Change - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th