Aces bash Broncos, 5-1
Laredo, Texas - July 18, 2008 - The last time Laredo Broncos starter Santo Hernandez started against the Alexandria Aces, the right-hander struck out 14 in a 3-0 Broncos win. Friday, he struck out ten, but the Aces prevailed, winning 5-1 at Veterans Field. Even though Hernandez k'ed ten Aces, he gave up a two-run homer to Rafael Ozuna in the top of the fourth. Aces starter Ramon Portillo did not disappoint as well. The lefty gave up only one run on two hits in 6.1 innings. The Alexandria bullpen was perfect. After Portillo got Dwayne White to groundout to lead off the seventh in a lefty-lefty match-up, B.J. Litchfield finished the seventh by getting a couple of groundouts. Then, Juan Carlos Ovalles pitched a perfect eighth with two strikeouts. Wayne Hedden closed it out with a perfect ninth, getting a couple of strikeouts as well. The Aces scored three in the ninth to blow the game wide open. Eddie Fitzpatrick walked to lead off the inning, followed by singles by Bryan Sabatella and Luis Guance to load the bases. Selwyn Langaigne reached base when he hit a groundball to second baseman Ivan Reyes who tried to throw home to prevent a run from scoring. The throw went wide of catcher Luany Sanchez allowing two to score. After an intentional walk to Palmer Karr Jr. loaded the bases again, Andre Marshall brought home another run with a bases-loaded walk, giving the Aces a 5-1 lead. The Aces and Broncos will continue their four-game series Friday as Robbie Wooley takes the mound for the Aces against the Broncos' Nathan Crawford. Game time is 7:35 PM.
Next home game: Monday July 21st vs. Edinburg. Ladies Night. Women get two-for-one admission.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 19, 2008
- Clutch Hitting Sparks Coyotes to Rally - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Winning Streak Ends as Colts Fall 7-4 - San Angelo Colts
- Aces hold another lead, win 5-3 - Alexandria Aces
- Strong WhiteWings Debut for Nehls in Loss - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Dillas End Losing Skid - Amarillo Dillas
- Broncos Drop Another Close One in Loss to Alexandria - Laredo Broncos
- Aces bash Broncos, 5-1 - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th