Aces and Mystics Square off with First Place on the Line, Saturday, at 4 PM PT.
WASHINGTON, DC - Just a few days after moving into first place in the WNBA standings, Las Vegas (10-5) squares off against the team they supplanted, as the Aces take on the Washington Mystics (9-5) Saturday at 4 pm PT.
Las Vegas picked up a 74-71 road win over Indiana, Wednesday, and thanks to losses by Washington and Connecticut, now has the best record in the league for the first time since July 1, 2011, when they were 7-2.
On Wednesday, the Aces had three players named starters to AT&T WNBA All-Star 2019, which is being played at Mandalay Bay Events Center on Saturday, July 27. A'ja Wilson finished second in voting, and is serving as one of two team captains for the game along with Washington's Elena Delle Donne. Liz Cambage and Kayla McBride were also named starters.
Wilson is one of four Aces averaging double figures in scoring this season at 16.4 points per game. She is joined by Cambage (15.6), McBride (15.3) and leading 6th Woman of the Year candidate Dearica Hamby (10.1).
Las Vegas boasts the best defense in the league pacing the W in defensive efficiency, defensive field goal percentage, adjusted defensive field goal percentage and defensive rebound percentage.
In contrast, Washington owns the best offense in the league, but their leading scorer, Delle Donne, missed their game Wednesday with a broken nose and is listed as questionable for Saturday. She is a averaging 15.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game on the season.
Three other Washington regulars are averaging double figures in scoring on the year- Kristi Tolliver (11.9), Ariel Atkins (11.8) and Tianna Hawkins ( 11.6). The Mystics are averaging a league-high 85.1 points per game, and connecting on a league-high 45.1 percent of their shots from the field. They also commit a WNBA-low 11.8 turnovers per game.
Washington has beaten the Aces two games in a row, and also leads 51-36 in a game that was begun on July 5, but was suspended because of an earthquake.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 12, 2019
- Wings Travel to Seattle for Tussle with Storm - Dallas Wings
- Fever Suffer 90-84 Setback against Los Angeles - Indiana Fever
- Ogwumike Sister Power Sparks Past Fever - Los Angeles Sparks
- Aces and Mystics Square off with First Place on the Line, Saturday, at 4 PM PT. - Las Vegas Aces
- Diana Taurasi to Make 2019 Season Debut Tonight at Connecticut - Phoenix Mercury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Aces Hold Fever to 20 Second-Half Points In, 98-79, Win
- Game Preview: Aces Put Four-Game Winning Streak on Line Tuesday at Indiana on Espn2
- A'ja Wilson Named Western Conference Player of the Week
- Wilson's 31 Points Help Aces Erase 12-Point Deficit in 78-76 Win over New York
- Game Preview: Aces Eye Fourth Straight Win, Sunday, at New York