901 FC Falls 4-1 in Louisville
Memphis traveled to Louisville to take on Group F leader Louisville City FC in Ben Pirmann's first match as interim head coach.
From the start Louisville took command of possession.
In the 14th minute of play Louisville's Cameron Lancaster, assisted by Brian Ownby on a fast break, scored on sliding left-footed shot from the middle of the box.
Ten minutes later, Ownby scored Louisville's second goal of the match. Assisted by Lancaster, Ownby scored with a left-footed shot from the top of the box curving to the far post.
Memphis got on the score board late in the first half with a goal by Cal Jennings. After a shot by Keanu Marsh-Brown, Jennings found himself at the front of the goal with a rebound from Louisville keeper Ben Lundt at his feet. The goal from Jennings was his third goal in two matches.
While Memphis seemed to have more energy in the second half, especially after three substitutions in the 58th minute where Raul Gonzalez, Jose Bacter and Rafa Mentzingen were brought into the match, Louisville added to their lead in the 72nd minute.
Lancaster's second goal of the match, and 50th in his career, came with a tap-in on a back door rebound. From there Memphis seemed to drop off giving up another goal in the 84th minute of the match.
Following the loss in Louisville, Memphis is now eliminated from playoff contention. Memphis returns to the pitch Wednesday at AutoZone Park. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. and tickets will go on sale to the public on Monday, Sept. 21.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 19, 2020
- STLvSKC: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
- STLFC Scores Stoppage-Time Winner to Claim 3-2 Victory - Saint Louis FC
- San Antonio FC Completes Unbeaten Home Record in Regular Season with 2-0 Win over OKC - San Antonio FC
- Energy FC Surrenders Three Points to San Antonio FC - OKC Energy FC
- Loudoun United FC Lose 1-0 against Pittsburgh Riverhounds at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Lancaster Scores Two as LouCity's Winning Streak Continues - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Defeat Loudoun, Record Fifth Straight Clean Sheet - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Aaron Maund Header Lifts Independence to Crucial 1-0 Win vs. North Carolina FC - Charlotte Independence
- "Equality 4 AllÃ¢ÂÂ Jersey up for Auction - Memphis 901 FC
- 901 FC Falls 4-1 in Louisville - Memphis 901 FC
- Yellow and Red Cards Play Large Factor in NCFC Match against Charlotte Independence - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks FC Prevail over New Mexico's "Home Opener" at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Diaz's Diving Stop Wins Save of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Hosts San Diego Tonight at 7:30 PM on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ - Phoenix Rising FC
- Sept 20 Match Preview - CHSvMIA - Charleston Battery
- Orange County Win Big Against Las Vegas - Orange County SC
- Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.