Energy FC Surrenders Three Points to San Antonio FC
Jordan Perruzza's brace gave San Antonio FC the goals they needed to take all three points over Energy FC Saturday night at Toyota Field in San Antonio, Texas.
The first good chance of the match fell to the Greens in the 20th minute. Cordell Cato beat his defender with a backheel nutmeg near the end line, cut a pass back to Brad Dunwell in the penalty area, but his shot fizzed across goal and out of play, just out of reach of a lunging Tucker Stephenson.
CJ Cochran was called upon in the 31st and 38th minutes with efforts from close range being well saved by the OKC goalkeeper.
The hosts took the lead in the 45th minute. Jordan Perruzza created a yard of space after cutting inside from the right wing and unleashed an unstoppable, left-footed drive from near the corner of the box that caromed off the crossbar and in the goal.
The Greens nearly equalized a minute into the second half when Rafael Garcia's free kick was met by the head of Stephenson. The attempt didn't quite have enough power to beat Cardone, who was able to get down to make the diving stop.
San Antonio doubled the lead in the 52nd minute after a cross from Jose Gallegos was blocked directly to Perruzza, who put his laces through the ball from 12 yards out to put the game out of reach.
Energy FC remains on nine points and in fourth place in Group D.
The Greens return home next Sunday, September 27 for the last home match of the season at 5 p.m. at Taft Stadium. Tickets are on sale now.
SA: Perruzza (Maloney), 45'
SA: Perruzza, 52'
OKC: Dunwell, Yellow Card, 63'
OKC: Chavez, Yellow Card, 67'
OKC: Stephenson, Yellow Card, 85'
OKC: Taravel, Yellow Card, 88'
SA: Bailone, Yellow Card, 89'
OKC Starting XI: GK: CJ Cochran; D: Zach Ellis-Hayden, Christian Ibeagha, Nico Taravel (Mike da Fonte, 90+2'), Joe Amico (Ramon Martin Del Campo, 59'), M: Rafael Garcia, Brad Dunwell (Kodai Iida, 79'), Arun Basuljevic F: Tucker Stephenson, Jaime Chavez (Jon Brown, 80'), Cordell Cato (Omar Gordon, 59')
Subs Not Used: Cody Laurendi
SA Starting XI: GK: Matt Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Joshua Yaro, Callum Montgomery; M: Connor Maloney, Hunter Gorskie, Jose Gallegos (Leo Torres, 90+2'), Blake Smith (Joshua Ramsey, 90+1'); F: Jordan Perruzza (Cristian Parano, 60'), Ignacio Bailone, Gonzalo Di Renzo (Luis Solignac, 60')
Subs Not Used: Jose Carlos Mercado, Mitchell Taintor, Hayden Partain
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 19, 2020
- STLvSKC: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
- STLFC Scores Stoppage-Time Winner to Claim 3-2 Victory - Saint Louis FC
- San Antonio FC Completes Unbeaten Home Record in Regular Season with 2-0 Win over OKC - San Antonio FC
- Energy FC Surrenders Three Points to San Antonio FC - OKC Energy FC
- Loudoun United FC Lose 1-0 against Pittsburgh Riverhounds at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Lancaster Scores Two as LouCity's Winning Streak Continues - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Defeat Loudoun, Record Fifth Straight Clean Sheet - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Aaron Maund Header Lifts Independence to Crucial 1-0 Win vs. North Carolina FC - Charlotte Independence
- "Equality 4 AllÃ¢ÂÂ Jersey up for Auction - Memphis 901 FC
- 901 FC Falls 4-1 in Louisville - Memphis 901 FC
- Yellow and Red Cards Play Large Factor in NCFC Match against Charlotte Independence - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks FC Prevail over New Mexico's "Home Opener" at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Diaz's Diving Stop Wins Save of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Hosts San Diego Tonight at 7:30 PM on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ - Phoenix Rising FC
- Sept 20 Match Preview - CHSvMIA - Charleston Battery
- Orange County Win Big Against Las Vegas - Orange County SC
- Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.