67's Open New Season with Thrilling Shootout Win over Guelph
GUELPH - It may be a new season, but this year's edition of the Ottawa 67's brought that familiar #NoQuit attitude into Game 1 of the 2019-2020 OHL campaign on Friday night.
Riding a stellar, 27-save performance by goalie Cedrick Andree, the 67's shook off giving up the game's first goal just 1:30 in to down the Guelph Storm 3-2 in a shootout.
The 67's faced an equally hot goalie in Guelph's Nico Daws, who was busy in turning away 40 of 42 Ottawa shots. The two shots that beat him in regulation came courtesy of Marco Rossi, who tied the game early in the second, and Noel Hoefenmayer, who once again evened the game in the second after Guelph took a 2-1 lead earlier in the period.
Andree saved his best for late in the game, first stopping the Storm on a penalty shot with just over a minute left, then stoning them again with less than four seconds to go in regulation.
Guelph's Danny Zhilkin scored the game's first goal early on, at 1:30 of the opening frame, beating Andree with a perfect shot. Rossi leveled things up with a power play goal in the second, getting Ottawa on the board for the first time this season. Both teams would have a goal disallowed in the second period, before Pavel Gogolev gave Guelph their second lead of the game. That lead would last all of thirty seconds, as Hoefenmayer blasted a slap shot past Daws to level things up once again. Austen Keating and Cameron Tolnai both scored for Ottawa in the shootout.
Ottawa will be back on the ice Saturday night in Owen Sound, where they will round out their season-opening road trip against the Attack at 7:30 PM.
The 67's home opener will take place on Sunday, September 29th in The Arena at TD Place when they host the Peterborough Petes at 2 p.m. Tickets are available here.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 20, 2019
- 67's Open New Season with Thrilling Shootout Win over Guelph - Ottawa 67's
- Bulldogs Defeat Sting 4-3 in Season Opener - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers Win Thriller in OT Versus the Spirit, 5-4 - Kitchener Rangers
- Otters Flip Script in the Third, Tame Wolves 5-2 - Erie Otters
- Steelheads Drop Season Opener - Mississauga Steelheads
- Two Games Played. Two IceDogs Wins - Niagara IceDogs
- Rogers Extends Partnership with the Kitchener Rangers - Kitchener Rangers
- Erie Events and Otters Announce Ten-Year Lease Agreement - Erie Otters
- Attack Announce 2019-20 Leadership Group - Owen Sound Attack
- Bell, Corus & The Hamilton Bulldogs - Hamilton's new Top Line - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Ryan Humphrey - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Joe Tomato's Weekend Preview: Attack Start Fresh in 2019-20 - Owen Sound Attack
- Preview: Firebirds Begin 5th OHL Campaign Friday - Flint Firebirds
- OHL 20 in 20 Season Preview: Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Damiani and Meireles Named Rangers Co-Captains - Kitchener Rangers
- Preview: Spirit Open 2019-20 Regular Season in Kitchener Friday - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa 67's Stories
- 67's Finish off Road Trip with Second Win in as Many Days
- Garreffa Nets Hat Trick in Barber Poles 4-2 Win over Flint
- 67's Fall Short in a Thriller against Saginaw
- 67's Add Forward Depth with Acquisition of Adam Varga
- Garreffa Scores Two and Quinn Gives 67's Win in OT